Document Type : Original Article
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Urmia Branch, Islamic Azad University, Urmia, Iran.
Testicular torsion and detorsion are important clinical problems for infertility in men. In fact, torsion of the spermatic cord is an emergency that results from the rotation of the testis and epididymis around the axis of the spermatic cord. Male factor infertility accounts for up to half of all cases of infertility and affects one man in 20 in the general population. Using a rat testis model, effects of cerium oxide nanoparticles (NCER) were studied on ischemia-reperfusion injury. Eighteen healthy male Wistar rats were used. The animals were subjected to three experimental groups (n = 6): Group Sham: Only laparotomy was performed. Group IS/REP: A 3- hour ischemia and 3-hour reperfusion were performed. Group IS/REP/NCER: The procedure included 3-hour ischemia, 3-hour reperfusion, and 20 µL (0.3 mmol/lit) of NCER 30 min before the cessation of ischemia. Significantly amended development of ischemia/reperfusion tissue injury was observed in animals treated with NCER compared to those of other groups (p = 0.001). Mean values of histomorphometric indices were significantly more improved than those observed for other groups (p = 0.001). Where testicular tissue is exposed to ischemia intraperitoneal administration of NCER could bear clinical benefits in diminishing ischemia-reperfusion injury.
- McLachlan RI, de Krester DM. Male infertility: the case for continued research. Medical Journal of Australia. 2001;174(3):116-117.
- Srinath H. Acute scrotal pain. Australian Family Physician. 2013; 42(11):790-792.
- Arap MA, Vicentini FC, Cocuzza M, Hallak J, Athayde K, Lucon AM, Arap S, Srougi M. Late hormonal levels, semen parameters, and presence of antisperm antibodies in patients treated for testicular torsion. Journal of Andrology. 2007;28(4):528-532.
- Parhizkar P, Mohammadi R, Shahrooz R, Mohammadi V. Effects of pyrroloquinoline quinone (PQQ) on ischemia-reperfusion injury in rat ovaries: histological and biochemical assessments. Bulletin of Emergency and Trauma. 2019;7(1):35-40.
- Javanmardi S, Khordadmehr M. Benidipine Reduces Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury Following Testicular Torsion/Detorsion in Rats. Iran Journal of Veterinary Surgery. 2017;12(2):21-30.
- Girotti AW. Lipid hydroperoxide generation, turnover, and effector action in biological systems. Journal of Lipid Research. 1998;39(8):1529-1542.
- Huang HY, Helzlsouer KJ, Appel LJ. The effects of vitamin C and vitamin E on oxidative DNA damage: results from a randomized controlled trial. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention. 2000;9(7):647-652.
- Ames BN, Shigenaga MK, Hagen TM. Oxidants, antioxidants, and the degenerative diseases of aging. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA. 1993;90(17):7915-7922.
- Komarneni S. Nanophase materials by hydrothermal, microwave hydrothermal and microwave-solvothermal methods. Current Science. 2003;85(12):1730-1734.
- Krishnamoorthy K, Veerapandian M, Zhang LH, Yun K, Kim SJ. Surface chemistry of cerium oxide nanocubes: Toxicity against pathogenic bacteria and their mechanistic study. Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry. 2014; 20:3513–3517.
- Dahle JT, Arai Y. Environmental geochemistry of cerium: applications and toxicology of cerium oxide nanoparticles. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2015;12(2):1253–1278.
- Gu H, Soucek MD. Preparation and characterization of monodisperse cerium oxide nanoparticles in hydrocarbon solvents. Chemistry Matererials. 2007;19(5):1103–1110.
- Alpaslan E, Yazici H, Golshan NH, Ziemer KS, Webster TJ. pH-dependent activity of dextran-coated cerium oxide nanoparticles on prohibiting osteosarcoma cell proliferation. ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering. 2015;1(11):1096–1103.
- Ushakov NM, Yurkov GY, Gorobinskii LV, Popkov OV, Kosobudskii ID. Nanocomposites based on the cerium oxide nanoparticles and polyethylene matrix: syntheses and properties. Acta Materialia. 2008;56(10):2336–2343.
- Qi L, Fresnais J, Mullera P, Theodoly O, Berretb F, Chapel P. Interfacial activity of phosphonated-polyethylene glycol functionalized cerium oxide nanoparticles. Langmuir. 2012;28(31):11448–11456.
- Cortés-Sanabria L, Paredes-Ceseña CA, Herrera-Llamas RM, Cruz-Bueno Y, Soto-Molina H, Pazarín L, Cortés M, Martínez-Ramírez HR. Comparison of cost-utility between automated peritoneal dialysis and continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis. Archives of Medical Research. 2013;44(8):655-661.
- Chaudhary K, Haddadin S, Nistala R, Papageorgio C. Intraperitoneal drug therapy: an advantage. Current Clinical Pharmacology. 2010; 5(2):82-88.
- Reshma P, Ashwini K. Cerium oxide nanoparticles: synthesis, characterization and study of antimicrobial activity. Journal of Nanomaterials& Molecular Nanotechnology. 2017;6(3):1-4.
- Gnanam S, Rajendran V. Influence of various surfactants on size, morphology, and optical properties of CeO2 nanostructures via facile hydrothermal route. Journal of Nanoparticles. 2013.
- Esmaeilsani Z, Barati F, Mohammadi R, Shams-Esfandabadai N, Karimi I. Effects of curcumin nanoparticles on the tissue oxidative stress following testicular torsion and detorsion in rat model. Iranian Journal of Veterinary Surgery. 2019;14(2):97-104
- Zimmerman BJ, Granger DN. Reperfusion injury. Surgical Clinics of North America. 1992;72(1):65-83.
- O'Shaughnessy PJ, Monteiro A, Verhoeven G, De Gendt K, Abel MH. Effect of FSH on testicular morphology and spermatogenesis in gonadotrophin-deficient hypogonadal mice lacking androgen receptors. Reproduction. 2010;139(1):177-184.
- Elshaari FA, Elfagih RI, Sheriff DS, Barassi IF. Testicular torsion-detorsion- histological and biochemical changes in rat testis. Journal of Cytology & Histology. 2012;3(1):1-6.
- Aslani F, Sebastian T, Keidel M, Fröhlich S, Elsässer HP, Schuppe HC, Klug J, Mahavadi P, Fijak M, Bergmann M, Meinhardt A, Bhushan S. Resistance to apoptosis and autophagy leads to enhanced survival in Sertoli cells. Molecular Human Reproduction. 2017;23(6):370-380
- Cummings JM, Boullier JA, Sekhon D,Bose K. Adult testicular torsion. Journal of Urology. 2002;167(5):2109-2110.
- Sessions AE, Rabinowitz R, Hulbert WC,Goldstein MM, Mevorach RA. Testicular torsion: direction, degree, duration and disinformation. Journal of Urology. 2003;169(2):663-5.
- Aktaş BK, Bulut S, Bulut S, Baykam MM, Ozden C, Senes M, Yücel D, Memiş A. The effects of N-acetylcysteine on testicular damage in experimental testicular ischemia/reperfusion injury. Pediatric Surgery International. 2010;26(3):293-298
- Dokmeci D, Kanter M, Inan M, Aydogdu N, Basaran UN, Yalcin O, Turan FN. Protective effects of ibuprofen on testicular torsion/ detorsion-induced ischemia/reperfusion injury in rats. Archives of Toxicology. 2007; 81(9):655-663
- Lee JW, Kim JI, Lee YA, Lee DH, Song CS, Cho YJ, Han JS. Inhaled hydrogen gas therapy for prevention of testicular ischemia/reperfusion injury in rats. Journal of Pediatric Surgery. 2012;47(4):736-742
- Davoodi F, Taheri S, Raisi A, Rajabzadeh A, Ahmadvand H, Hablolvarid MH, Zakian A. Investigating the sperm parameters, oxidative stress and histopathological effects of salvia miltiorrhiza hydroalcoholic extract in the prevention of testicular ischemia reperfusion damage in rats. Theriogenology. 2020;144:98-106.
- Kazemi-Darabadi S, Asadpour R, Shahbazfar AA, Alizadeh S. Effects of L-carnitine and betamethasone on ischemia-reperfusion injuries and sperm parameters following testicular torsion in a rat model. Veterinary Research Forum. 2019;10(2):125-132.
- Raisi A, Kheradmand A, Farjanikish G, Davoodi F, Taheri S. Nitroglycerin ameliorates sperm parameters, oxidative stress and testicular injury following by testicular torsion/detorsion in male rats. Experimantal Molecular Pathology. 2020;117:104563.
- Davoodi F, Raisi A, Rajabzadeh A, Hablolvarid MH, Zakian A. The effects of verapamil and heparin co-administration on sperm parameters and oxidative stress in prevention of testicular torsion/detorsion damage in rats. Andrologia. 2020;52(2):e13479.
- Barlas M and Hatiboglu C. The effect of nitric oxide in testicular ischemia-reperfusion injury. International Urology and Nephrology. 2002;34(1):81-86.
- Uguralp S, Usta U and Mizrak B. Resveratrol may reduce apoptosis of rat testicular germ cells after experimental testicular torsion. European Journal of Pediatrics. 2005;15(5):333-336.
- Wang WW, Qiao SY, Li DF: Amino acids and gut function. Amino Acids. 2009;37(1):105-110
- Vitaglione P, Ottanelli B, Milani S, Morisco F, Caporaso N, Fogliano V. Dietary trans-resveratrol bioavailability and effect on CCl4-induced liver lipid peroxidation. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2009;24(4):618-622.
- Manne NDPK, Arvapalli R, Graffeo VA, Bandarupalli VVK, Shokuhfar T, Patel S, Rice KM, Ginjupalli GK, Blough ER. Prophylactic treatment with cerium oxide nanoparticles attenuates hepatic ischemia reperfusion injury in Sprague Dawley rats. Cellular Physiology and Biochemistry, 2017;42(5):1837–1846.
- Turner PV, Brabb T, Pekow C, Vasbinder MA. Administration of Substances to Laboratory Animals: Routes of Administration and Factors to Consider.Journal of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science. 2011;50(5): 600–613.