Document Type: Original Article
Department of Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Semnan University, Semnan, Iran.
Department of Surgery and Diagnostic Imaging, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Urmia University, Urmia, Iran.
Department of Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Garmsar Branch, Islamic Azad University, Garmsar, Iran.
Student of Veterinary Medicine, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Semnan University, Semnan, Iran.
Objective- Due to its specific position, the canine tooth is more exposed to the injuries, fractures and pulp necrosis. In these cases, the damaged teeth are usually pulled out. The root of this tooth is very large and sometimes extends over the premolar teeth. To extract it, a large amount of alveolar bone tissue should be harvested. Moreover, the cavity remains very large, which results in forming a cavity after repairing. It can be very effective in the form of closure of the mouth and lips.
Design- Experimental study
Animals- five adult male dogs
Procedures- In this research, five dogs were selected and their maxillary canine teeth in right and left (10 teeth in total) were surgically removed. Then the right dental cavity was filled with insulin PRF and the left one filled with autograft cancellous bone chips. Three weeks after the surgery, the cavity was sampled for histopathological examination. Factors such as epithelialization rate, fibroplasia, fibrotic reaction and intensity of inflammation were studied.
Results- The average score obtained from histological studies implies that epithelialization in PRF group is significantly higher than the other group, and there is no significant difference in other parameters.
Conclusion and Clinical Relevance- Since PRF preparation is easy, it is not painful and risky for the patient and does not require any special care after the surgery. Therefore, it is used preferably.
- Marshall MD, Wallis CV, Milella L, Colyer A, Tweedie AD, Harris S. A longitudinal assessment of periodontal disease in 52 miniature schnauzers. BMC Veterinary Research, 2014; 10: 166.
- Tutt C. Oral surgery. Small Animal Dentistry, A manual of techniques. 1st ed. Oxford: Blackwell, 2006; 145-169.
- Fossum TW. Surgery of the digestive system. Small Animal Surgery, 4th ed. St. Louis: Elsevier, 2013; 386.
- Al-Mubarak S, Al-Ali N, Abou-Rass M, Al-Sohail A, Robert A, Al-Zoman K, Al-Suwyed A, Ciancio S. Evaluation of dental extractions, suturing and INR on post operative bleeding of patients maintained on oral anticoagulant therapy. British Dental Journal, 2007; 203(7): 410-411.
- Ghavimi M, Ghoreishizadeh A, Hajmohammadi Samarein E, Arta SA, Khorshidi R, Yazdani J. The effectiveness of gelatin resorbable sponge (Gelatamp) in dry socket prevention. Medical Journal of Tabriz University of Medical Sciences and Health Services, 2012;35(1):64-67.
- Birn H. kinines and pain in dry socket. International Journal of Oral Surgery, 1972; 1(1): 34-42.
- Chakravarthi S. Platelet rich fibrin in the management of established dry socket. Journal of the Korean Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 2017; 43(3): 160-165.
- Oral Surgery – Extractions. In: Lobprise HB (Editor), Dodd JR (Editor), eds. Wiggs's Veterinary Dentistry: Principles and Practice, 2nd ed. New Jersey: Wiley-Blackwell, 2019; 242.
- Hobson P. Extraction of retained primary canine teeth in the dog. Journal of Veterinary Dentistry, 2005; 22(2): 132-137.
- Jamjoom A, Cohen RE. Grafts for Ridge Preservation. Journal of Functional Biomaterials, 2015; 6(3): 833–848.
- Iasella JM, Greenwell H, Miller R. Ridge Preservation with Freeze-Dried Bone Allograft and a Collagen Membrane Compared to Extraction Alone for Implant Site Development: A Clinical and Histologic Study in Humans. Journal of Periodontology, 2003; 74(7): 990-999.
- Avila-Ortiz G, Elangovan S, Kramer KWO, Blanchette D, Dawson DV. Effect of Alveolar Ridge Preservation after Tooth Extraction. Journal of Dental Research, 2014; 93(10): 950–958.
- Borie E, Oliví DG, Orsi IA, Garlet K, Weber B, Beltrán V, Fuentes R. Platelet-rich fibrin application in dentistry: a literature review. International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, 2015; 8(5): 7922–7929.
- Rezaeian M. Digestive system. A Text Atlas of Veterinary Histology, 1st ed. Tehran, University of Tehran Press, 2011; 188-191.
- Saluja H, Dehane V, Mahindra U. Platelet-Rich fibrin: A second generation platelet concentrate and a new friend of oral and maxillofacial surgeons. Annals of Maxillofacial Surgery, 2011; 1(1): 53-57.
- Makridis KG, Ahmad MA, Kanakaris NK, Fragkakis EM, Giannoudiscorresponding PV. Reconstruction of iliac crest with bovine cancellous allograft after bone graft harvest for symphysis pubis arthrodesis. International Orthopaedics, 2012; 36(8): 1701–1707.
- Fossum TW. (2013) Management of specific fractures. Small Animal Surgery, 4th ed. St. Louis: Elsevier, 2013; 1168-1173.
- Holmstrom SE. Frost P, Eisner ER. Anesthesia and pain management in dental and oral procedures. Veterinary Dental Techniques, 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier, 1998; 601-608
- Gal, P., Kilik, R., Mokry, M., Vidinsky, B., Vasilenko, T., Mozes, S., Lenhardt, L. Simple method of open skin wound healing model in corticosteroid-treated and diabetic rats: standardization of semi-quantitative and quantitative histological assessments. Veterinary Medicine, 2008; 53(12): 652-965.
- Ross R, Glomset J, Kariya B, Harker L. A platelet-dependent serum factor that stimulates the proliferation of arterial smooth muscle cells in vitro. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 1974, 71(4): 1207–1210.
- Kiran NK, Mukunda KS, Tilak Raj TN. Platelet concentrates: A promising innovation in dentistry. Journal of Dental Science and Research. 2011; 2(1): 50–61.
- Reksodiputro M, Widodo D, Bashiruddin J, Siregar N, Malik S. PRFM enhance wound healing process in skin graft. Facial Plastic Surgery, 2014; 30(6): 670-675.
- Charrier JB, Monteil JP, Albert S, Collon S, Bobin S, Dohan Ehrenfest DM. Relevance of Choukroun's platelet-rich fibrin (PRF) and SMAS flap in primary reconstruction after superficial or subtotal parotidectomy in patients with focal pleiomorphic adenoma: a new technique. Revue de laryngologie - otologie - rhinologie, 2008; 129(4-5): 313-318.
- Deodhar AK, Rana RE. Surgical physiology of wound healing: a review. Journal of Postgraduate Medicine, 1997; 43(2): 52–56.
- Giannobile WV. Periodontal tissue engineering by growth factors. Bone, 1996; 19(1 Suppl): 23S–37S.
- Chang IC, Tsai CH, Chang YC. Platelet-rich fibrin modulates the expression of extracellular signal-regulated protein kinase and osteoprotegerin in human osteoblasts. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 2010; 95(1): 327–332.
- Wu CL, Lee SS, Tsai CH, Lu KH, Zhao JH, Chang YC. Platelet-rich fibrin increases cell attachment, proliferation and collagen-related protein expression of human osteoblasts. Australian Dental Journal, 2012; 57(2): 207–212.
- Dohan Ehrenfest DM, Diss A, Odin G, Doglioli P, Hippolyte MP, Charrier JB. In vitro effects of Choukroun's PRF (platelet-rich fibrin) on human gingival fibroblasts, dermal prekeratinocytes, preadipocytes, and maxillofacial osteoblasts in primary cultures. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, and Oral Radiology, 2009; 108(3): 341–352.
- Chang YC, Zhao JH. Effects of platelet-rich fibrin on human periodontal ligament fibroblasts and application for periodontal infrabony defects. Australian Dental Journal, 2011; 56(4): 365–371.
- Simonpieri A, Del Corso M, Vervelle A, Jimbo R, Inchingolo F, Sammartino G, Dohan Ehrenfest DM. Current knowledge and perspectives for the use of platelet-rich plasma (PRP) and platelet-rich fibrin (PRF) in oral and maxillofacial surgery part 2: Bone graft, implant and reconstructive surgery. Current Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, 2012; 13(7): 1231–1256.
- Bansal C, Bharti V. Evaluation of efficacy of autologous platelet-rich fibrin with demineralized-freeze dried bone allograft in the treatment of periodontal intrabony defects. Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology, 2013; 17(3): 361–366.
- Huang FM, Yang SF, Zhao JH, Chang YC. Platelet-rich fibrin increases proliferation and differentiation of human dental pulp cells. Journal of Endodontics, 2010; 36(10): 1628-1632.
- Diss A, Dohan DM, Mouhyi J, Mahler P. Osteotome sinus floor elevation using Choukroun's platelet-rich fibrin as grafting material: a 1-year prospective pilot study with microthreaded implants. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, and Oral Radiology. 2008; 105(5): 572-579.
- Sun XL, Zhou YM, Zhao JH, Zheng L, Yang TT. The effect of platelet-rich fibrin on biologic characteristics of osteoblasts. Shanghai Kou Qiang Yi Xue. 2015; 24(1): 61-64.
- Sharma A, Pradeep AR. Autologous platelet-rich fibrin in the treatment of mandibular degree II furcation defects: a randomized clinical trial.Journal of Periodontology, 2011; 82(10): 1396-1403.
- Pradeep AR, Rao NS, Agarwal E, Bajaj P, Kumari M, Naik SB. Comparative evaluation of autologous platelet-rich fibrin and platelet-rich plasma in the treatment of 3-wall intrabony defects in chronic periodontitis: a randomized controlled clinical trial. Journal of Periodontology, 2012; 83(12): 1499-1507.