Document Type : Original Article
1 Department of Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Shahid Chamran University of Ahvaz, Ahvaz, Iran.
2 Department of Radiology, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, Iran.
3 DVM Graduated from Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Shahid Chamran University of Ahvaz, Ahvaz, Iran
Objective- This survey was accomplished to describe the hepatic artery and portal vein indices in healthy domestic cats by color Doppler ultrasonography technique.
Design- Retrospective experimental study.
Animals- Twenty domestic short hair (DSH) cats (10 males and 10 females).
Procedures- Doppler indices of liver vascular (portal vein and hepatic artery) such as PSV, EDV, RI, PI, MV, VF and the spectral wave forms were measured in the studied cat's population (two equal groups of ten each).
Results- The mean and deviation of portal vein were as follow: PSV: 40.68 ± 9.82‚ EDV: 23.38 ± 5.78‚ RI: 0.48 ± 0.10‚ PI: 0.72 ± 0.26‚ MV: 2.49 ± 0.64, VF: 25.81 ± 5.04 and for hepatic artery were included PSV: 49.79 ± 9.45‚ EDV: 31.92 ± 5.05‚ RI: 0.59 ± 0.09‚ PI: 0.85 ± 0.20‚ VF: 34.73 ± 5.47 and MV: 3.03 ± 0.44 respectively.
Conclusion and clinical relevance- The obtained results showed that there was not a significant difference between males and females for indices of liver vascular (p>0.05). These data can be used for comparison with the various hepatic diseases in cats. It should be noted that the importance of hepatic blood flow is more in cats than dogs, due to defect in liver enzymes.
- Nyland TG, Mattoon JS. Small Animal Ultrasound. W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia, 2002; 34-120.
- Ettinger SJ, Feldman EC. Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 6th ed. Vol. 2. Elsevier Saunders, St. Louis, Missouri, 2005; 1435-1442.
- Schneider AW, Kalk JF, Klein CP. Hepatic arterial pulsatility index in cirrhosis: correlation with portal pressure. Journal of Hepatology, 1999; 30: 876-881.
- Kim J, Kim S, Eom K. Pulsed-wave Doppler ultrasonographic evaluation of hepatic vein in dogs with tricuspid regurgitation. Journal of Veterinary Science, 2017; 18: 73-79.
- Petersen LH, Dzialowski E, Huggett DB. The interactive effects of a gradual temperature decrease and long-term food deprivation on cardiac and hepatic blood flows in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology, 2011; 160: 311-319.
- Marolf AJ. Diagnostic imaging of the hepatobiliary system. An Update. Veterinary Clinics: Small Animal practices, 2017; 47: 555-568.
- Scheinfeld MH, Bilali A, Koenigsberg M. Understanding the spectral Doppler waveform of the hepatic veins in health and disease. Radiographics, 2009; 29: 2081–2098.
- Novellas R, Gopegui RR, Espada Y. Increased renal vascular resistance in dogs with hepatic disease. Veterinary Journal, 2008; 178: 257-262.
- Bonnin PH, Villemain A, Vincent F, Debbabi H, Silvestre JS, Contreres JS, Levy B, Tobelem G, Dupuy E. Ultrasonic assessment of hepatic blood flow as a marker of mouse hepatocarcinoma. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, 2007; 33: 567-570.
10. Wang H, Han P, Sunt X, Cai J, Fan X, Luo Y. Detection of hepatic hemodynamics in normal Rhesus Monkeys using high-frequency Ultrasound. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, 2014; 40: 837-842.
11. Eveno C, Henaff CL, Audollent R, Soyer PH, Rampanou E, Pocard M, Bonnin PH. Tumor and non-tumor liver angiogenesis is traced and evaluated by hepatic arterial ultrasound in murine models. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, 2012; 38: 1195-1204.
12. Lamb CR, Burton CA, Carlisle CH. Doppler measurement of hepatic arterial flow in dogs: technique and preliminary findings. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound, 1999; 40: 77-81.
13. Sorrentino P, Tarantino G, Conca P, Ragucci P, Perrella A. Abnormally high resistive index of central retinal artery by ultrasound color Doppler in patients with viral chronic liver disease: correlation with worsening liver staging. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, 2004; 30: 599-604.
14. Ferrandis I, Jakovljevic S, Aprea F, Corletto F. Effect of two sedative protocols and hepatosplenic disease on Doppler indices of splenic arteries in dogs. Veterinary Journal, 2013; 197: 712-716.
15. Baere TH, Denys A, Briquet R, Chevallier P, Dufaux
J, Roche A. Modification of arterial and portal hemodynamics after injection of iodized oils and different emulsions of iodized oils in the hepatic artery. Journal Vascular and Interventional Radiology, 1998; 9: 305-310.
16. Mitchell ET, Franklin NT, Micheal EM. Correlation between renal vascular resistance, pulse pressure, and the resistive index in isolated perfused rabbit kidneys. Radiology, 1999; 213: 258-264.
17. Yarmenitis SD, Kalogeropoulou CP, Hatjikondi O, Ruvazoula P, Petsas T, Siamblis D, Kalfarentzos F. An experimental approach of the Doppler perfusion index of the liver in detecting occult hepatic metastases: histological findings related to the hemodynamic measurements in Wistar rats. European Radiology, 2000; 10: 417-424.