Document Type : Clinical Report
1 Department of Pathobiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tabriz, Tabriz, Iran.
2 Department of Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tabriz, Tabriz, Iran.
Synovial pad proliferation that origins from a soft tissue observes in the fetlock joint of horses, mainly racing horses. In the present study, we report the clinical and histopathological findings of synovial pad proliferation in a 15-years-old male horse with mild lameness. A palpable and visible mass was found at the dorsolateral surface of the right hindlimb joint associated with ulcer and hemorrhage. The radiology examination and biopsy sample were performed for the present case. In radiology, there was not exostosis or a bone fraction. Histopathology dominantly demonstrated densely collagenous, fibrous connective tissue and vascular congestion to gather with mild chronic inflammation and fibrosis. No evidence of edema and acute inflammation were found on the tissue sections. The surgical removal of the proliferative mass was suggested for the treatment of choice for optimal recovery.
- Dabareiner RM, White NA, Sullins KE. Metacarpophalangeal joint synovial pad fibrotic proliferation in 63 horses. Veterinary Surgery, 1996; 25: 199-206.
- Pool RR, Thompson KG. Tumors of joints In: Meuten DJ eds. Tumors in Domestic Animals, chapter 4, 4th edn, Iowa State Press, Iowa, 2002.
- Nixon AJ. Phalanges and the metacarpophalangeal and metatarsopbalangeal joints. In: Auer JA, Stick JA, eds. Equine Surgery, chapter 91, 4th edn. Elsevier Saunders, St. Louis, Missouri, 2012.
- Murphy DJ, Nixon AJ. Arthroscopic laser extirpation of metacarpophalangeal synovial pad proliferation in eleven horses. Equine Veterinary Journal, 2001; 33(3): 296-301.
- Craig LE, Thompson KG. Tumors of Joints: In: Tumors in Domestic Animals. 5th edn. Donald J. Meuten. John Wiley and Sons, Inc. 2017; 353.
- White NA. Synovial pad proliferation in the metacarpophalangeal joint. In: White A, Moore JN, eds. Current Practice of Equine Surgery, Lipincott, Philadelphia. 1990, 555-558.
- Kannegieter NJ. Chronic proliferative synovitis of the equine metacarpophalangeal joint. Veterinary Record, 1990; 127: 8-10.
- Flandry F, Hughston JC. Current concepts review: pigmented villonodular synovitis. Journal of. Bone and Joint Surgery, 1987; 69-A: 942-949.
- Thompson K. Bones and Joints; In: Maxie MG, eds. Pathology of Domestic Animals, 5th edn. Courtesy of University of Melbourne, 2007; 148-152.
- Olson EJ, Carlson CS. Bones, joints, tendons, and ligaments. In: Zachary JF, eds. Pathologic Basis of Veterinary Disease. 6th edn. Mosby Elsevier, St. Louis, MO, 2017; 954-980.