Document Type : Original Article
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Adnan Menderes University, Aydin, Turkey.
This study was undertaken to establish a protocol for myelography in the healthy and paraplegic neonatal bovine calf. The study material will be composed of 30 calves, 10 of which are normal and 20 of which are paraplegic, brought to Adnan Menderes University, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine. The contrast medium used was Iopamidol, which was introduced through the foramen magnum under general anesthesia . In order to diagnose the atlantooccipital space, this region was tried to be diagnosed with the help of an ultrasound. Myelography revealed changes in the spinal canal and assisted in a definite diagnosis. It has been observed that myelography applications made with this method described by Braun are extremely useful and practical. Bleeding was observed in only two of the cases after puncture. No complications were observed after myelography. While a narrowing of the subarachnoid space was observed in the cervical region in 2 of 20 calves with paraplegia, a lesion was observed in the lumbar region in 5 of them. In 10 cases, narrowing of the cauda equina segment was observed. In 3 cases, paraplegia was observed in the patient it has been concluded that the prognosis can be determined more accurately by myelography.
- Berger PJ, Cubas AC, Koehler KJ, Healey M. Factors affecting dystocia and early calf mortality in Angus cows and Heifers. Journal of Animal Science. 1992; 70: 1775-1786.
- Dijemali M, Berger PJ, Freeman AE. Ordered categorical sire evaluation for dystocia in Holsteins. Journal of Dairy Science. 1987; 70 (11): 2374- 2384.
- Erb HN, Martin SW. lnterrelationships between production and reproductive disease in Holstein cows. Data. Journal of Dairy Science. 1980; 11: 1911-1917.
- Foley JP, Gatlin SJ, Selcer BA. Standing myelography in six adult of horses. Veterinary Radiology, 1986; 27(2): 5457.
- Zani DD, Romano L, Scandella M, Rondena M, Riccaboni P, Morandi N, Lombardo R, Di Giancamillo M, Belloli AG, Pravettoni D: Spinal epidural abscess in two calves. Veterinary Surgery. 2008; 37: 801-808.
- Braun U. Ultrasonographic examination of the spinal cord and collection of cerebrospinal fluid from the Atlanto-occipital space in cattle. Veterinary Clinics of North America: Food Animal Practice. 2016; 32: 109-118.
- Bueno GM, Girardi A, Módolo TJC, Sabes A, Oliveira JA, Marques LC. Myelography in calves: a comparative study between the contrast agents iopamidol ,and iohexol. Arquivo Brasileiro de Medicina Veterinária e Zootecnia. 2019; 71: 1217-1226.
- Bargai U. Myelography in neonatal bovine calves. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound. 1993; 34 (1): 20-23.
- Gregory KE, Echtemkamp SE, Dickerson GE, Cundiff LV, Koch RM, Van Vleck LD. Twinning in cattle: lll. Effect of twinning on dystocia, reproductive traits, calf survival, calf growth and cow productivity. Journal of Animal Science. 1990; 68(10): 3133-3144.
- Majeed AF, Ali JB, Taha MB. A preliminary study on dystocia in local breed Iraqi cattle. Preventive Veterinary Medicine. 1989; 7(3): 219-223.
- Mutiga ER, Ogaa JS, Agumbah GJO. Dystocia in Kenyan dairy cattle. Modern Veterinary Practice. 1981; 62(2): 111-113.
- Sieber M, Freeman AE, Kelley DH. Effects of body measurements and weight on calf size and calving difficulty of holsteins. Journal of Dairy Science. 1989; 72(9): 2402-2410.