Document Type : Clinical Report
Department of Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Razi University, Kermanshah, Iran.
Polydactyly is a malformation characterized by the presence of one or more additional digits that usually occurs solitarily or rarely together with other developmental or inheritable anomalies such as contracted tendon. A 5-day-old mixed native breed calf presented to the clinic of faculty of veterinary medicine of Razi University (Kermanshah, Iran) with extra digits (polydactyly) and contracted tendon in the right forelimb. The calf was born during normal delivery without intervention and had normal clinical symptoms in the examination. In physical examinations, an extra part was seen in the right forelimb with distinct metacarpus and digits, and also contracted tendon was evident in the main digits. Regarding the inability of the calf to locate the affected limb on the ground normally, surgical intervention was performed to remove extra digits and resolve the contracted tendon. Case follow up showed a good improvement and the calf had a normal life.
- Ahmed AF. Surgical correction of bilateral polydactyly in a Dromedary camel: a case report. Medicice. 2014; 59: 141-145.
- Crosta L, Bürkle M, Timossi L, Kaleta EF. Unilateral Pentadactyly in a yellow shouldered Amazon (Amazona barbadensis). Journal of Avian Medicine and Surgery. 2002; 16: 26-30.
- Grewal GS, Brar RS. Research note: three congenital anomalies of domestic fowl. Poultry Science. 1989; 68(7): 1019-1020.
- Sis RF, Getty R. Polydactylism in cats. Veterinary Medicine, Small Animal Clinician. 1968; 63(10): 948-951.
- Hansen JS. Lateral polydactylism in the dog. Veterinary Medicine, Small Animal Clinician. 1972; 67(5): 536.
- Villagomez DA, Alonso RA. A distinct Mendelian autosomal recessive syndrome involving the association of anotia, palate agenesis, bifid tongue, and polydactyly in the dog. Canine Veterinary Journal. 1998; 39: 642-643.
- Barber SM. Unusual polydactylism in a foal: a case report. Veterinary Surgery. 1990; 19(3): 203-207.
- Behrens E, Donawick WJ, Raker CW, Woodhead JS. Polydactylism in a foal. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. 1979; 174(3): 266-268.
- Giofré F, Caracciolo V, Zanotti M, Polli M, de Giovanni AM. Polydactyly in a Murgese horse: a case report. Journal of Equine Veterinary Science. 2004; 24(6): 248-250.
- Johnson JL, Leipold JW, Guffy MM, Dennis SM, Schalles RR, Mueller MS. Characterization of bovine polydactyly. Bovine Practice. 1982; 3: 7-14.
- Leipold HW; Dennis SM, Huston K. Polydactyly in cattle. The Cornell Veterinarian. 1972; 62: 337-345.
- Murondoti A, Busayi RM. Perineomelia, polydactyly and other malformations in a Mashona calf. The Veterinary Record. 2001; 148(16): 512.
- Talamillo A, Bastida MF, Fernandez‐Teran M, Ros MA. The developing limb and the control of the number of digits. Clinical Genetics. 2005; 67(2): 143-153.
- Carstanjen B, Abitbol M, Desbois C. Bilateral polydactyly in a foal. Journal of Veterinary Science. 2007; 8(2): 201-203.
- Mazaheri Y, Khaksari MM, Ranjbar R, Ghadiri A, Bani Adam A. Anatomical and radiological study of hind limbs polydactyly and other congenital anomalies in a mix calf. Second International Symposium of Veterinary surgery and 7th Iranian Surgery, Anesthesiology and Radiology Conference, Shahid Bahonar University of Kerman, May, 2008.
- Uygur S, Doğan A, Fati QO, Nasirizadeh O, Özverel Ş, Yusuf ŞE, Bumin A. A case of polydactyly encountered in a calf and its one-year results. Kocatepe Veterinary Journal. 2022; 15(1): 134-138.
- Alam MR, Lee JI, Lee HB, Ko JJ, Lee KC, Kim NS. Supernumerary ectopic limbs in Korean indigenous cattle: four case reports. Veterinarni Medicina. 2007; 52(5): 202.
- Al-Ani FK, Khamas WA, Al-Qudah KM, Al-Rawashdeh O. Occurrence of congenital anomalies in Shami breed goats: 211 cases investigated in 19 herds. Small Ruminant Research. 1998; 28(3): 225-232.
- Newman SJ, Bailey TL, Jones JC, DiGrassie WA, Whittier WD. Multiple congenital anomalies in a calf. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation. 1999; 11(4): 368-371.
- Mather DB. Polydactyly in calves. The Veterinary Record. 1987; 120(20): 487.
- Roberts E. Polydactylism in cattle. Journal of Heredity. 1921; 12(2): 84-86.
- Gugjoo MB, Sarode IP, Kumar S, Amarpal A. Bilateral polydactyly in a nondescript calf. Journal of Advanced Veterinary Research. 2013; 3(2): 86-88.
- Johnson JL, Leipold HW, Schalles RR, Guffy MM, Peeples JG, Castleberry RS, Schneider HJ. Hereditary polydactyly in Simmental cattle. Journal of Heredity. 1981; 72(3): 205-8.
- Gofflot F, Hars C, Illien F, Chevy F, Wolf C, Picard JJ, Roux C. Molecular mechanisms underlying limb anomalies associated with cholesterol deficiency during gestation: implications of Hedgehog signaling. Human Molecular Genetics. 2003; 12(10): 1187-1198.