Document Type : Original Article
1 Department of Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Urmia Branch, Islamic Azad University, Urmia, Iran.
2 Department of Surgery and Diagnostic Imaging, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Urmia University, Urmia, Iran.
Using a rat ovary model, protective effects of nano-methoxatin (NMXTN) were studied on ischemia-reperfusion injury. Following randomization of forty-eight healthy female Wistar rats ~250 g, the animals were subjected to eight experimental groups (n = 6): Group SHAM: Only laparotomy was performed. Group IS: Only a 3-hour ischemia was performed. Group IS/Oil: Only a 3-hour ischemia was performed and 50 µl soybean oil alone (Solvent of MXTN) was administered 30 min before cessation of ischemia. Group IS/REP: The procedure included a 3-hour ischemia followed by a 3-hour reperfusion and 50 µl soybean oil alone was administered 30 min before cessation of ischemia. Group IS/MXTN: The procedure included a 3-hour ischemia only and 50 µl (0.3 mmol/l/IP) of MXTN 30 min before cessation of ischemia. Group IS/NMXTN: The procedure included a 3-hour ischemia only and 50 µl (0. 3 mmol/l/IP) of NMXTN 30 min before cessation of ischemia. Group IS/REP/MXTN: The procedure included a 3-hour ischemia, a 3-hour reperfusion and 20 µl (0.3 mmol/l) of MXTN 30 min before cessation of ischemia. Group IS/REP/NMXTN: The procedure included a 3-hour ischemia, a 3-hour reperfusion and 20 µl (0.3 mmol/l) of NMXTN 30 min before cessation of ischemia. Significantly amended development of ischemia/reperfusion tissue injury was observed in animals treated with NMXTN compared to those of other groups (p = 0.001). Mean values of biochemical indices were significantly higher than those observed for other groups (p = 0.001). Significantly lower values of MDA were observed in IS/REP/NMXTN animals compared to those of other groups (p = 0.001). Where ovarian tissue is exposed to ischemia intraperitoneal administration of NMXTN could bear clinical benefits in diminishing ischemia-reperfusion injury.
- Melcer Y, Maymon R, Pekar-Zlotin M, Vaknin Z, Pansky M, Smorgick N. Does she have adnexal torsion? Prediction of adnexal torsion in reproductive age women. Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics. 2018; 297: 685-690.
- Balci O, Energin H, Görkemli H, Acar A. Management of Adnexal Torsion: A 13-Year Experience in Single Tertiary Center. Journal of Laparoendoscopic and Advanced Surgical Techniques, Part A. 2019; 29: 293-297.
- Celik A, Ergün O, Aldemir H, Ozcan C, Ozok G, Erdener A, Balýk E. Long-term results of conservative management of adnexal torsion in children. Journal of Pediatric Surgery. 2005; 40: 704-708.
- Resapu P, Rao Gundabattula S, Bharathi Bayyarapu V, Pochiraju M, Surampudi K, Dasari S. Adnexal torsion in symptomatic women: a single-centre retrospective study of diagnosis and management. Journal of the Institute of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 2019; 39: 349-354.
- Girotti AW. Lipid hydroperoxide generation, turnover, and effector action in biological systems. Journal of Lipid Research. 1998; 39: 1529-1542.
- Huang HY, Helzlsouer KJ, Appel LJ. The effects of vitamin C and vitamin E on oxidative DNA damage: results from a randomized controlled trial. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention. 2000; 9: 647-652.
- Liu Z, Ren Z, Zhang J, Chuang CC, Kandaswamy E, Zhou T, Zuo L. Role of ROS and Nutritional Antioxidants in Human Diseases. Frontiers in Physiology. 2018; 17(9): 477.
- Hategekimana J, Masamba KG, Ma J, Zhong F. Encapsulation of vitamin E: effect of physicochemical properties of wall material on retention and stability. Carbohydrate Polymers. 2015; 124: 172-179.
- Cortés-Sanabria L, Paredes-Ceseña CA, Herrera-Llamas RM, Cruz-Bueno Y, Soto-Molina H, Pazarín L, Cortés M, Martínez-Ramírez HR. Comparison of cost-utility between automated peritoneal dialysis and continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis. Archives of Medical Research. 2013; 44: 655-661.
- Chaudhary K, Haddadin S, Nistala R, Papageorgio C. Intraperitoneal drug therapy: an advantage. Current Clinical Pharmacology. 2010; 5: 82-88.
- Oral A, Odabasoglu F, Halici Z, Keles ON, Unal B, Coskun AK, Kilic C, Surer I, Salman AB. Protective effects of montelukast on ischemia-reperfusion injury in rat ovaries subjected to torsion and detorsion: biochemical and histopathologic evaluation. Fertility and Sterility. 2011; 95: 1360-1366.
- Zimmermann M. Ethical guidelines for investigations of experimental pain in conscious animals. Pain. 1983; 16: 109-110.
- Sun Y, Larry WO, Ying L. A simple method for clinical assay of superoxide dismutase. Clinical Chemistry. 1988; 34: 497-500.
- Ohkawa H, Ohishi N, Yagi K. Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Analytical Biochemistry. 1979; 95: 351-358.
- Wei H, Frenkel K. In vivo formation of oxidized DNA bases in tumor promoter-treated mouse skin. Cancer Research. 1991; 51: 4443-4449.
- Habig WH, Jakoby WB. Assays for differentiation of glutathione S-transferases. Methods in Enzymology. 1981; 77: 398-405.
- Tolba MF, Omar HA, Azab SS, Khalifa AE, Abdel-Naim AB, Abdel-Rahman SZ. Caffeic acid phenethyl ester: a review of its antioxidant activity, protective effects against ischemia-reperfusion injury and drug adverse reactions. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. 2016; 56: 2183-2190.
- Fan C, Chen Q, Ren J, Yang X, Ru J, Zhang H, Yang X. Notoginsenoside R1 suppresses inflammatory signaling and rescues renal ischemia-reperfusion injury in experimental rats. Medical Science Monitor. 2020; 26: e920442.
- Niki E, Yoshida Y, Saito Y, Noguchi N. Lipid peroxidation: mechanisms, inhibition, and biological effects. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications. 2005; 338: 668-676.
- Ximenes VF, Paino IM, Faria-Oliveira OM, Fonseca LM, Brunetti IL. Indole ring oxidation by activated leukocytes prevents the production of hypochlorous acid. Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research. 2005; 38: 1575-1583.
- Valko M, Rhodes CJ, Moncol J, Izakovic M, Mazur M. Free radicals, metals and antioxidants in oxidative stress-induced cancer. Chemico-Biological Interactions. 2006; 160: 1-40.
- Behroozi-Lak T, Zarei L, Moloody-Tapeh M, Farhad N, Mohammadi R. Protective effects of intraperitoneal administration of nimodipine on ischemia-reperfusion injury in ovaries: Histological and biochemical assessments in a rat model. Journal of Pediatric Surgery. 2017; 52: 602-608.
- Mansoorali KP, Prakash T, Kotresha D, Prabhu K, Rama Rao N. Cerebroprotective effect of Eclipta alba against global model of cerebral ischemia induced oxidative stress in rats. Phytomedicine. 2012; 19: 1108-1116.
- Jain A, Rani V. Mode of treatment governs curcumin response on doxorubicin-induced toxicity in cardiomyoblasts. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry. 2018; 442: 81-96.
- Mukai K. Antioxidant activity of foods: development of singlet oxygen absorption capacity (SOAC) assay method. Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology. 2019; 65:2 85-302.
- Turner PV, Brabb T, Pekow C, et al. Administration of substances to laboratory animals: routes of administration and factors to consider. Journal of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science. 2011; 50: 600-613.