Document Type : Original Article
Department of Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Urmia Branch, Islamic Azad University, Urmia, Iran.
Department of Surgery and Diagnostic Imaging, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Urmia University, Urmia, Iran.
Using a rat ovary model, protective effects of nano-methoxatin (NMXTN) were studied on ischemia-reperfusion injury. Following randomization of forty-eight healthy female Wistar rats ~250 g, the animals were subjected to eight experimental groups (n = 6): Group SHAM: Only laparotomy was performed. Group IS: Only a 3-hour ischemia was performed. Group IS/Oil: Only a 3-hour ischemia was performed and 50 µl soybean oil alone (Solvent of MXTN) was administered 30 min before cessation of ischemia. Group IS/REP: The procedure included a 3-hour ischemia followed by a 3-hour reperfusion and 50 µl soybean oil alone was administered 30 min before cessation of ischemia. Group IS/MXTN: The procedure included a 3-hour ischemia only and 50 µl (0.3 mmol/l/IP) of MXTN 30 min before cessation of ischemia. Group IS/NMXTN: The procedure included a 3-hour ischemia only and 50 µl (0. 3 mmol/l/IP) of NMXTN 30 min before cessation of ischemia. Group IS/REP/MXTN: The procedure included a 3-hour ischemia, a 3-hour reperfusion and 20 µl (0.3 mmol/l) of MXTN 30 min before cessation of ischemia. Group IS/REP/NMXTN: The procedure included a 3-hour ischemia, a 3-hour reperfusion and 20 µl (0.3 mmol/l) of NMXTN 30 min before cessation of ischemia. Significantly amended development of ischemia/reperfusion tissue injury was observed in animals treated with NMXTN compared to those of other groups (p = 0.001). Mean values of biochemical indices were significantly higher than those observed for other groups (p = 0.001). Significantly lower values of MDA were observed in IS/REP/NMXTN animals compared to those of other groups (p = 0.001). Where ovarian tissue is exposed to ischemia intraperitoneal administration of NMXTN could bear clinical benefits in diminishing ischemia-reperfusion injury.
- Melcer Y, Maymon R, Pekar-Zlotin M, Vaknin Z, Pansky M, Smorgick N. Does she have adnexal torsion? Prediction of adnexal torsion in reproductive age women. Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics. 2018; 297: 685-690.
- Balci O, Energin H, Görkemli H, Acar A. Management of Adnexal Torsion: A 13-Year Experience in Single Tertiary Center. Journal of Laparoendoscopic and Advanced Surgical Techniques, Part A. 2019; 29: 293-297.
- Celik A, Ergün O, Aldemir H, Ozcan C, Ozok G, Erdener A, Balýk E. Long-term results of conservative management of adnexal torsion in children. Journal of Pediatric Surgery. 2005; 40: 704-708.
- Resapu P, Rao Gundabattula S, Bharathi Bayyarapu V, Pochiraju M, Surampudi K, Dasari S. Adnexal torsion in symptomatic women: a single-centre retrospective study of diagnosis and management. Journal of the Institute of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 2019; 39: 349-354.
- Girotti AW. Lipid hydroperoxide generation, turnover, and effector action in biological systems. Journal of Lipid Research. 1998; 39: 1529-1542.
- Huang HY, Helzlsouer KJ, Appel LJ. The effects of vitamin C and vitamin E on oxidative DNA damage: results from a randomized controlled trial. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention. 2000; 9: 647-652.
- Liu Z, Ren Z, Zhang J, Chuang CC, Kandaswamy E, Zhou T, Zuo L. Role of ROS and Nutritional Antioxidants in Human Diseases. Frontiers in Physiology. 2018; 17(9): 477.
- Hategekimana J, Masamba KG, Ma J, Zhong F. Encapsulation of vitamin E: effect of physicochemical properties of wall material on retention and stability. Carbohydrate Polymers. 2015; 124: 172-179.
- Cortés-Sanabria L, Paredes-Ceseña CA, Herrera-Llamas RM, Cruz-Bueno Y, Soto-Molina H, Pazarín L, Cortés M, Martínez-Ramírez HR. Comparison of cost-utility between automated peritoneal dialysis and continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis. Archives of Medical Research. 2013; 44: 655-661.
- Chaudhary K, Haddadin S, Nistala R, Papageorgio C. Intraperitoneal drug therapy: an advantage. Current Clinical Pharmacology. 2010; 5: 82-88.
- Oral A, Odabasoglu F, Halici Z, Keles ON, Unal B, Coskun AK, Kilic C, Surer I, Salman AB. Protective effects of montelukast on ischemia-reperfusion injury in rat ovaries subjected to torsion and detorsion: biochemical and histopathologic evaluation. Fertility and Sterility. 2011; 95: 1360-1366.
- Zimmermann M. Ethical guidelines for investigations of experimental pain in conscious animals. Pain. 1983; 16: 109-110.
- Sun Y, Larry WO, Ying L. A simple method for clinical assay of superoxide dismutase. Clinical Chemistry. 1988; 34: 497-500.
- Ohkawa H, Ohishi N, Yagi K. Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Analytical Biochemistry. 1979; 95: 351-358.
- Wei H, Frenkel K. In vivo formation of oxidized DNA bases in tumor promoter-treated mouse skin. Cancer Research. 1991; 51: 4443-4449.
- Habig WH, Jakoby WB. Assays for differentiation of glutathione S-transferases. Methods in Enzymology. 1981; 77: 398-405.
- Tolba MF, Omar HA, Azab SS, Khalifa AE, Abdel-Naim AB, Abdel-Rahman SZ. Caffeic acid phenethyl ester: a review of its antioxidant activity, protective effects against ischemia-reperfusion injury and drug adverse reactions. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. 2016; 56: 2183-2190.
- Fan C, Chen Q, Ren J, Yang X, Ru J, Zhang H, Yang X. Notoginsenoside R1 suppresses inflammatory signaling and rescues renal ischemia-reperfusion injury in experimental rats. Medical Science Monitor. 2020; 26: e920442.
- Niki E, Yoshida Y, Saito Y, Noguchi N. Lipid peroxidation: mechanisms, inhibition, and biological effects. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications. 2005; 338: 668-676.
- Ximenes VF, Paino IM, Faria-Oliveira OM, Fonseca LM, Brunetti IL. Indole ring oxidation by activated leukocytes prevents the production of hypochlorous acid. Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research. 2005; 38: 1575-1583.
- Valko M, Rhodes CJ, Moncol J, Izakovic M, Mazur M. Free radicals, metals and antioxidants in oxidative stress-induced cancer. Chemico-Biological Interactions. 2006; 160: 1-40.
- Behroozi-Lak T, Zarei L, Moloody-Tapeh M, Farhad N, Mohammadi R. Protective effects of intraperitoneal administration of nimodipine on ischemia-reperfusion injury in ovaries: Histological and biochemical assessments in a rat model. Journal of Pediatric Surgery. 2017; 52: 602-608.
- Mansoorali KP, Prakash T, Kotresha D, Prabhu K, Rama Rao N. Cerebroprotective effect of Eclipta alba against global model of cerebral ischemia induced oxidative stress in rats. Phytomedicine. 2012; 19: 1108-1116.
- Jain A, Rani V. Mode of treatment governs curcumin response on doxorubicin-induced toxicity in cardiomyoblasts. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry. 2018; 442: 81-96.
- Mukai K. Antioxidant activity of foods: development of singlet oxygen absorption capacity (SOAC) assay method. Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology. 2019; 65:2 85-302.
- Turner PV, Brabb T, Pekow C, et al. Administration of substances to laboratory animals: routes of administration and factors to consider. Journal of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science. 2011; 50: 600-613.