Document Type : Clinical Report
Department of Surgery and Radiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
Graduated in Veterinary Surgery, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
Postgraduate Student in Veterinary Surgery, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
Diaphragmatic hernias are an uncommon cause of abdominal pain in horses. The following case report describes a diaphragmatic hernia in 2 adult horses with signs of acute colic. A six-year-old stallion and a seven-year-old mare were referred to the emergency duty for severe abdominal pain; for a six-month period from late 2021 to early 2022. The horses were subjected to explorative laparotomy, which revealed a migration of the large colon associated with volvulus (in stallion); and small intestine protrusion (in mare) in thoracic space. Necropsy revealed a diaphragmatic chronic rupture (approximately 13 centimeters in diameter) in the left mid-region with the protrusion of the large colon in the thoracic cavity in the male horse; and a diaphragmatic acute rupture (approximately 3 centimeters in diameter) in the left dorsolateral region with the incarceration of jejunum in thoracic cavity in the mare. This case report demonstrated that a diaphragmatic hernia should be considered as a differential diagnosis in equine colic.
- Toth F. Schumacher J. Abdominal hernia. In: Auer JA, Stick JA, Kummerle JM, Prange T. eds. Equine Surgery. 5th Edn, Missouri: Elsevier; 2019: 665.
- Röcken M, Gesine Mosel P, Barske K, Witte TS. Thoracoscopic diaphragmatic hernia repair in a warmblood mare. Veterinary Surgery. 2013; 42: 591-594.
- Sabev SP, Kanakov DT. Diaphragmatic hernia in a horse - a case report. Veterinarski Arhiv. 2009; 79: 97-103.
- Romero AE, Rodgerson DH. Diaphragmatic herniation in the horse: 31 cases from 2001-2006. The Canadian Veterinary Journal. 2010; 51: 1247-1250.
- Kelmer G, Kramer J, Wilson DA. Diaphragmatic hernia: etiology, clinical presentation and diagnosis. Compendium Equine. 2008a; 28-36.
- Freeman DE. Jejunum and ileum. In: Auer JA, Stick JA, Kummerle JM, Prange T. eds. Equine Surgery. 5th Missouri: Elsevier; 2019: 557.
- Zusatz M, Desbois C, Robert C, Carstanjen B. Diaphragmatic hernia and rib fractures in an adult horse with signs of colic. Pferdeheilkunde Equine Medicine. 2005; 21(5): 420-422.
- Hassel, MD. Thoracic trauma in horses. Veterinary Clinics of North America. Equine Practice. 2007; 23: 67-80.
- Kelmer G, Kramer J, Wilson DA. Diaphragmatic hernia: treatment, complications, and prognosis. Compendium Equine. 2008; 3: 37-46.
- Hart SK, Brown JA. Diaphragmatic hernia in horses: 44 cases (1986–2006). Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care. 2009; 19: 357-362.
- Santschi EM, Juzwiak JS, Moll HD, Slone DE. Diaphragmatic hernia repair in three young horses. Veterinary Surgery. 1997; 26: 242-245.
- Tapio H, Hewetson M, Sihvo HK. An unusual cause of colic in a neonatal foal. Equine Veterinary Education. 2012; 24: 334-339.
- Shnaiderman-Torban A, Epstein A, Kelmer G. Thoracotomy for repair of a large dorsal diaphragmatic hernia in an 18-year-old mare. Equine veterinary Education. 2015; 27(8): 391-395.
- Edwards GB. Diaphragmatic hernia - A diagnostic and surgical challenge. Equine Veterinary Education. 1993; 5: 267-269.
- Kamus L, RuzickovaP, PiatP, Trencart P, Bonilla Use of barbed suture for thoracoscopic repair of diaphragmatic hernias: Three cases. Equine Veterinary Education. 2022.
- Abu-Seida A. Diagnostic and treatment challenges for diaphragmatic hernia in equids: a concise review of literature. Journal of Equine Veterinary Science. 2021; 106: 103746.