Document Type : Review Article
Department of Surgery and Diagnostic Imaging, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Urmia University, Urmia, Iran.
Department of Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Lorestan University, Khorramabad, Iran.
Department of Pathobiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Lorestan University, Khorramabad, Iran.
Department of Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Shahrekord Branch, Islamic Azad University, Shahrekord, Iran.
Department of Basic Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Lorestan University, Khorramabad, Iran.
Medicinal plants were used as treatment many years ago, and now the raw materials of most medicines are obtained from plants. Recently, due to the lack of side effects, the variety of effective compounds in plants, the development of industries related to the cultivation of medicinal plants, the recommendations of the World Health Organization to use plants, and several other reasons, the use of medicinal plants has been widespread. Numerous studies have been performed to investigate the effects of medicinal plants and microbial flora on wound healing. Previous studies revealed the positive effects of medicinal plants on wound healing compared to other chemical drugs, and a significant reduction in inflammation, acceleration of the healing process, and reduction of oxidative stress were observed following the use of herbal medicines. In this review, the effects of the most important Iranian medicinal plants and microbial flora on wound healing in veterinary medicine have been investigated.
- Malekmohammadi M, Tehrani HA, Aghdami N. Skin structure and wound healing phases. Dermatology and Cosmetic. 2011; 2(4): 229-244 (Persian).
- Johnston DE. Wound healing in skin. Veterinary clinics of North America: small animal practice. 1990; 20(1): 1-25.
- Pollmann M, Nordhoff M, Pospischil A, Tedin K, Wieler L. Effects of a probiotic strain of Enterococcus faecium on the rate of natural chlamydia infection in swine. Infection and Immunity. 2005; 73(7): 4346-4353.
- Dyson M, Young S, Pendle CL, Webster DF, Lang SM. Comparison of the effects of moist and dry conditions on dermal repair. Journal of Investigative Dermatology. 1988; 91(5).
- Fossum TW. Small Animal Surgery E-Book. Elsevier Health Sciences; 2018.
- Givol O, Kornhaber R, Visentin D, Cleary M, Haik J, Harats M. A systematic review of Calendula officinalis extract for wound healing. Wound Repair and Regeneration. 2019; 27(5): 548-561.
- H. Medicine tradition in Iran. Tehran. Study's and Research Institute. 1983: 18-53 (Persian).
- Schrezenmeir J. MVs. Probiotics, prebiotics, and symbiotics approaching a definition. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. (2001); 73(36): 1-4.
- Al-basher G A-OF. Biological activity of olive leaf extract and regulation of tissue transglutaminase expression in diabetic wound healing. International Journal of Pharmacology. 2018; 14(7): 963-972
- Koca U, Süntar I, Akkol EK, Yılmazer D, Alper M. Wound repair potential of Olea europaea L. leaf extracts revealed by in vivo experimental models and comparative evaluation of the extracts' antioxidant activity. Journal of Medicinal Food. 2011; 14(1-2): 140-146.
- Süntar İP, Akkol EK, Baykal T. Assessment of anti-inflammatory and antinociceptive activities of Olea europaea L. Journal of Medicinal Food. 2010; 13(2): 352-356.
- Jarić S, Mitrović M, Djurdjević L, Kostić O, Gajić G, Pavlović D, Pavlović P. Phytotherapy in medieval Serbian medicine according to the pharmacological manuscripts of the Chilandar Medical Codex (15–16th centuries). Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2011; 137(1): 601-619.
- Bisignano G, Laganà MG, Trombetta D, Arena S, Nostro A, Uccella N, Mazzanti G, Saija A. In vitro antibacterial activity of some aliphatic aldehydes from Olea europaea L. FEMS Microbiology Letters. 2001; 198(1): 9-13.
- Raisi A, Farjanikish G, Salahi P. Comparing Healing Effects of olive leaf extract ointment and dermaheal ointment on cutaneous wound in diabetic rats. Journal of Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences. 2019; 29(173): 11-21.
- Bonelli F, Busechian S, Meucci V, Caporrino G, Briganti A, Rueca F, Zappulla F, Ferini E, Ghiandai L, Sgorbini M. pHyloGASTRO in the treatment of equine gastric ulcer lesions. Journal of Equine Veterinary Science. 2016; 46: 69-72.
- Jaiswal S, Singh S, Singh B, Singh H. Plants used for tissue healing of animals. 2004.
- Malekzadeh F. Antimicrobial activity of Lawsonia inermis L. Applied Microbiology. 1968; 16(4): 663.
- Shiravi A, Alebooyeh M, Hojati V, Akbari H. The effect of extract of henna leaves (Lawsonia inermis) on skin wound healing in Wistar rats. Journal of Animal Biology. 2011; 4(3): 45-51 (Persian).
- I Towfik A, Hamza SS, K Munahi A. The effect of Henna (Lawsonia inermis) on the wound healing of local Arabian horses. Journal of Kerbala University. 2014; 10(4): 78-91.
- Gortzi O, Lalas S, Chinou I, Tsaknis J. Reevaluation of bioactivity and antioxidant activity of Myrtus communis extract before and after encapsulation in liposomes. European Food Research and Technology. 2008;226(3):583-590.
- Woodrow P, Pontecorvo G, Ciarmiello LF. Isolation of Ty1-copia retrotransposon in myrtle genome and development of S-SAP molecular marker. Molecular Biology Reports. 2012; 39(4): 3409-3418.
- Yoshimura M, Amakura Y, Tokuhara M, Yoshida T. Polyphenolic compounds isolated from the leaves of Myrtus communis. Journal of Natural Medicines. 2008; 62(3): 366-368.
- Nabiuni M AM, Mousavi R, Ramezani T. The effect of Myrtus communism leave extract cream on wound healing process in Wistar rats. Tebe Mokamel. 2014; 4(3): 854-864.
- Raisi A, Sharifi S, Davoodi F, Afshar Ghahremani S, Yousefian E. Evaluation sedation and anesthesia effects of Dianthus, Lavender, and Valerian plants on Astronatus ocellatus fish. Iranian Journal o Veterinary Clinical Sciences. 2019; 12(2): 89-95.
- Raisi A, Davoodi F, Afshar-Ghahremani S, Taheri S, Sharifi S, Adel M. Evaluation of the anesthetic and tranquilizing effects of clove powder (Syzygiuma romaticum) and lavender oil (Lavandula officinalis) in convict cichlid fish (Cichlasoma nigrofasciata). Iranian Journal of Veterinary Surgery. 2020; 15(1): 1-7.
- Degel J, Köster EP. Odors: implicit memory and performance effects. Chemical Senses. 1999; 24(3): 317-325.
- Lusby PE, Coombes AL, Wilkinson JM. A comparison of wound healing following treatment with Lavandula x allardii honey or essential oil. Phytotherapy Research. 2006; 20(9): 755-757.
- Jia S, Mustoe T, Ketzis J. In vivo testing of the wound-healing activity of a natural-based skin cream for dogs and cats. Planta Medica. 2006; 72(11): 205.
- Nada AM, Abu-Ahmed HM, Khafaga AF, El-Kammar MH. Clinical and histopathological evaluation of the effectiveness of lavender oil compared with black seed oil, ostrich oil and cod liver oil on the second intention wound healing in dogs. Alexandria Journal for Veterinary Sciences. 2015; 46(1).
- Young S, Dyson M. Effect of therapeutic ultrasound on the healing of full-thickness excised skin lesions. 1990; 28(3): 175-180.
- Nie S, Xie M, Fu Z, Wan Y, Yan A. Study on the purification and chemical compositions of tea glycoprotein. Carbohydrate Polymers. 2008; 71(4): 626-633.
- S H. Green tea and the skin. Journal of American Academy of Dermatology. 2005; 52(6): 1049-1059.
- Yaghmayei P, Moshrefjavadi F, Nilforooshzade M, Mardani H, Kadanejadian P. The effect of 2% alcohol green tea extract on healing process of open wound in male mice. Journal of Isfahan Medical School. 2009; 27(96): 324-335 (Persian).
- Kim BR, Cheong JT, Park HJ, Yun YM, Lee KK, Kang TY, Kim JH, Bae JH, Lee JM. Effect of green tea extract on healing of contaminated wound in dogs. Journal of Veterinary Clinics. 2007; 24(4): 550-556.
- Jafari Dinani N, Asgary S, Madani H, Naderi G, Mahzoni P. Hypocholesterolemic and antiatherosclerotic effect of Artemisia aucheri in hypercholesterolemic rabbits. Pakistan Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2010; 23(3).
- Hakimi Maybodi M, Afkhami Aghdaee M, Mijalili B. An investigation into biological activities of Artemisia Persia’s essential oil. Pajoohesh and Sazandegi. 2003; 16(61): 2-5.
- Alahtavakoli M, Vazirinejad R, AnsariJaberi A, Negahban T, Mashayekhi H, Nazari M, Ghoreshi S, Nematollahi F. Effect of Teucrium polium extract on skin wound healing in rat. Hormozgan Medical Journal. 2012; 16(1): 17-24 (Persian).
- Oganesyan G, Galstyan A, Mnatsakanyan V, Shashkov A, Agababyan P. Phenylpropanoid glycosides of Teucrium polium. Chemistry of Natural Compounds. 1991; 27(5): 556-559.
- Abrurjari T, Hadaib M, Cavrini V. Composition of the essential oil from Jordanian germander (Teucvium poliuml). Journal of Eessential Oil Research. 2008; 18: 97-99.
- Ansari M, Alizadeh A, Paknejad M, Khaniki M, Naeimi S. Effects of Teucrium polium honey on burn wound healing process. Journal of Babol University of Medical Sciences. 2009; 11(3): 7-12 (Persian).
- Hassan M, Muhtadi F, Al‐Badr A. GLC‐mass spectrometry of Teucrium polium Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 1979; 68(6): 800-801.
- Twaij HA, Albadr AA, Abul-Khail A. Anti-ulcer activity of Teucrium polium. International Journal of Crude Drug Research. 1987; 25(2): 125-128.
- Haidari M, Kariminejad M, Darvand A. Survey on Analgesic effects of methanol extract of Teucrium polium in mice. Journal of Kerman University Medical Sciences. 2008; 6: 67-76 (Persian).
- Mehrabani D, Bahrami F, Hosseini SV, Ashraf MJ, Tanideh N, Rezaianzadeh A, Amini M, Amini A. The healing effect of Teucrium polium in acetic acid-induced ulcerative colitis in the dog as an animal model. Middle East Journal of Digestive Diseases. 2012; 4(1): 40.
- Ferguson MWJ, Leigh I. Wound healing. In: Rook’s textbook of Dermatology 6th ed London: Blackwell Science. 1998: 337-357.
- Ghorbani Ranjbary A, Varzandian S, Zarei A, Asmarian S, Jouibar F. Investigation of hydralcoholic extract of Silybum marianum on open wound healing in mice. Journal of Babol University of Medical Sciences. 2014; 16(5): 35-41 (Persian).
- Abad ANA, Nouri MHK, Tavakkoli F. Effect of Salvia officinalis hydroalcoholic extract on vincristine-induced neuropathy in mice. Chinese Journal of Natural Medicines. 2011; 9(5): 354-358.
- Davoodi F, Taheri S, Raisi A, Rajabzadeh A, Ahmadvand H, Hablolvarid MH, Zakian A. Investigating the sperm parameters, oxidative stress and histopathological effects of Salvia miltiorrhiza hydroalcoholic extract in the prevention of testicular ischemia reperfusion damage in rats. 2020.
- Lu Y, Foo LY. Polyphenolics of Salvia—a review. 2002; 59(2): 117-140.
- Farahpour MR, Pirkhezr E, Ashrafian A, Sonboli A. Accelerated healing by topical administration of Salvia officinalis essential oil on Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Staphylococcus aureus infected wound model. Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy. 2020; 128: 110120.
- Sharifi R, Rastegar H, Kamalinejad M, Dehpour AR, Tavangar SM, Paknejad M, Natanzi MM, Ghannadian N, Akbari M, Pasalar P. Effect of topical application of silymarin (Silybum marianum) on excision wound healing in albino rats. Acta Medica Iranica. 2012: 583-588.
- Glowania H, Raulin C, Swoboda M. Effect of chamomile on wound healing--a clinical double-blind study. Zeitschrift fur Hautkrankheiten. 1987; 62(17): 1262, 1267-1271.
- Jarrahi M, Zahedi Khorasani M, Taherian AA, Safakhah HA, Miladi H. Evaluation of topical matricaria chamomilla L. oil extract activity on linear incisional wound healing in albino rats. Journal of Medicinal Plants. 2009: 94-99 (Persian).
- Yadegari M, Khazaei M, Ghorbani R, Rezaee M, Izadi B, Sheykh AA. Wound healing effect of Falcaria vulgaris’ leaves on aspirin induced gastric ulcer in rats. Journal of Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences. 2006; 3(10): 195-203.
- Shakibaei D, Pasharavesh L, Khoushbou S, Kaboodi B. The effect of the "Falcaria vulgaris" on deep skin wound remodeling time and skin tension power in rats. . Journal of Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences. 2006; 3(10): 187-194.
- Choobkar N, Kakoolaki S, Mohammadi F. The biological effects of herbal medicine, Falcaria vulgaris: An article review. Iranian Journal of Aquatic Animal Health. 2017; 3(1): 74-81.
- H M. Plant sciences. Nashre Farhange Eslami. 2005: 418-423 (Persian).
- Kupeli E, Tatli II, Akdemir ZS, Yesilada E. Bioassay-guided isolation of anti-inflammatory and antinociceptive glycoterpenoids from the flowers of Verbascum lasianthum Boiss. ex Bentham. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2007; 110(3): 444-450.
- Nabiuni M, Oryan S, Ayyobipor M, Bagheri M. Histochemical study of Verbascum speciocum extract's effects on the wound healing in rats. Journal of Cell and Tissue. 2011; 2(1): 67-75.
- Naghsh N, Aboutalebi F, Karam Seychani S. Designing a new nano-plant composite of Cucurbita pepo for wound repair of skin in male albino mice: a new nano approach for skin repair. Journal of Fasa University of Medical Sciences. 2013; 3(1): 27-33 (Persian).
- Hedaiaty M YP, Azizy F. The effect of the extract on tumor necrosis factor alpha and daphne mucronata receptors on human monocytes in vitro. 2011; 18: 152-157 (Persian).
- V M. Culture names of plants Iran. Culure Tehran. 1998: 74 (Persian).
- Jazayeri K GA, Amiri H, Abbasi M, Gholami M. Study of effect of methanolic extracts Daphne mucronata (stem, leaves, flowers) on skin wound healing in rat. Journal of Knowledge and Health. 2016; 11(2): 9-15 (Persian).
- Quazi S, Mathur K, Arora S. Calotropis procera: An overview of its phytochemistry and pharmacology. Indian Journal of 2013; 1(2): 63-69.
- Kumar V, Arya S. Medicinal uses and pharmacological properties of Calotropis procera. Recent Progress in Medicinal Plants. 2006; 11: 373-388.
- Van Steenis Kruseman M. Select Indonesia medicinal plants, organization for scientific research in Indonesia. 1953.
- Ayoub SH. Screening of plants used in Sudan folk medicine for anticancer acitivity. 1984; 55(4) :209.
- Raisi A, Farjanikish G, Abbasi M, Pirzadeh A, Kord A, Ghalandari F. Repairing effect of Latex and hydro-alcoholic extract of Calotropis procera on wound healing in rat. Journal of Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences. 2017; 26(146): 1-8 (Persian).
- Hosseinzadeh H, Rahimi R. Anti-inflammatory effects of Elaeagnus angustifolia L. fruits in mice and rats. 1999.
- Wang Q, Ruan X, Huang J-h, Xu N-y, Yan Q-c. Intra-specific genetic relationship analyses of Elaeagnus angustifolia based on RP-HPLC biochemical markers. Journal of Zhejiang University Science B. 2006; 7(4): 272-278.
- Ahmadiani A, Hosseiny J, Semnanian S, Javan M, Saeedi F, Kamalinejad M, Saremi S. Antinociceptive and anti-inflammatory effects of Elaeagnus angustifolia fruit extract. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2000; 72(1-2): 287-292.
- Moezzi N NVH, Shirali S. Comparing the effect of Elaeagnus angustifolia L. extract and Lowsonia intermis L. paste, with silver sulfadiazine ointment on wound healing in rat. Iranian Journal of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants. 2009; 25(2): 253-260 (Persian).
- Khodakarm-Tafti A, Mehrabani D, Homafar L, Farjanikish G. Healing effects of Elaeagnus angustifolia extract in experimentally induced ulcerative colitis in rats. Journal of Pharmacology and Toxicology. 2015; 10(1): 29-35.
- Moradkhani H, Sargsyan E, Bibak H, Naseri B, Sadat-Hosseini M, Fayazi-Barjin A, Meftahizade H. Melissa officinalis L., a valuable medicine plant: A review. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research. 2010; 4(25): 2753-2759.
- Gürbüz I, Üstün O, Yesilada E, Sezik E, Kutsal O. Anti-ulcerogenic activity of some plants used as folk remedy in Turkey. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2003; 88(1): 93-97.
- Namjoo A, Eskandari Y, Rafieian-Kopaei M, Farid M. Effect of oral administration and topical application of Melissa officinalis ethanolic extract on wound healing and serum biochemical changes in alloxan-induced diabetic rats. Journal of Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences. 2017; 27(147): 48-61.
- Dashti-Rahmatabadi MH, Hejazian SH, Morshedi A, Rafati A. The analgesic effect of Carum copticum extract and morphine on phasic pain in mice. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2007; 109(2): 226-228.
- Singh G, Maurya S, Catalan C, De Lampasona M. Chemical constituents, antifungal and antioxidative effects of ajwain essential oil and its acetone extract. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 2004; 52(11): 3292-3296.
- Komeili G, Solouki S, Maleki S, Saeidi Neek F. Effect of hydroalcholic extract of Carum copticum seed on the treatment of peptic ulcer induced by ibuprofen in rats. The Horizon of Medical Sciences. 2012; 18(1): 12-16.
- Niazmandi S, Kooshaki M, Sookhtanloo M, Nemati M, Kianoosh T, Sadeghnia HR, Akhlaghi S. The preventive effects of aqous-ethanolic extract of Achillea wilhelmsii on indomethacine-induced ulcer and related biochemical factors in rats. Urmia Medical Journal. 2012; 23(2): 209-217 (Persian).
- K. Treatment with herbs. Tehran: Society of Food Science and Technology Publication. 1990:7 (Persian).
- Niazmandi S, Kooshaki M, Sookhtanloo M, Nemati M, Kianoosh T, Sadeghnia HR, Akhlaghi S. The preventive effects of aqous-ethanolic extract of Achillea wilhelmsii on indomethacine-induced ulcer and related biochemical factors in rats. Studies in Medical Sciences. 2012; 23(2): 209-217.
- Mallikarjuna G, Dhanalakshmi S, Raisuddin S, Rao AR. Chemomodulatory influence of Ferula asafoetida on mammary epithelial differentiation, hepatic drug metabolizing enzymes, antioxidant profiles and N-methyl-N-nitrosourea-induced mammary carcinogenesis in rats. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. 2003; 81(1): 1-10.
- Iranshahy M, Iranshahi M. Traditional uses, phytochemistry and pharmacology of asafoetida (Ferula assa-foetida oleo-gum-resin)—A review. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2011; 134(1): 1-10.
- Agrawal A, Rao CV, Sairam K, Joshi V, Goel R. Effect of Piper longum Linn, Zingiber officianalis Linn and Ferula species on gastric ulceration and secretion in rats. 2000.
- Sadoughi S. Effect of aqueous extract of Ferula assa-foetida’s resin on wound healing of streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. The Horizon of Medical Sciences. 2013; 19(3): 129-135.
- Hajhashemi V, Ghannadi A, Sharif B. Anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties of the leaf extracts and essential oil of Lavandula angustifolia Mill. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2003; 89(1): 67-71.
- Tam JCW, Lau KM, Liu CL, To MH, Kwok HF, Lai KK, Lau CP, Ko CH, Leung PC, Fung KP. The in vivo and in vitro diabetic wound healing effects of a 2-herb formula and its mechanisms of action. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2011; 134(3): 831-838.
- Tabaraki R, Nateghi A, Ahmady-Asbchin S. In vitro assessment of antioxidant and antibacterial activities of six edible plants from Iran. Journal of Acupuncture and Meridian Studies. 2013; 6(3): 159-162.
- Sanaei N, Mohammadi R, Raisi A, Zarei L. Extract of Berula angustifolia (L.) Mertens enhances wound healing in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Wounds: a Compendium of Clinical Research and Practice. 2018; 30(8): 242-248.
- Naji S, Zarei L, Pourjabali M, Mohammadi R. The extract of lycium depressum stocks enhances wound healing in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. The International Journal of Lower Extremity Wounds. 2017; 16(2): 85-93.
- Asp N-G, Möllby R, Norin L, Wadström T. Probiotics in gastric and intestinal disorders as functional food and medicine. Scandinavian Journal of Nutrition. 2004; 48(1): 15-25.
- Vinderola G, Perdigón G, Duarte J, Farnworth E, Matar C. Effects of the oral administration of the exopolysaccharide produced by Lactobacillus kefiranofaciens on the gut mucosal immunity. 2006; 36(5-6): 254-260.
- Schiraldi C VV, Molinaro A, Carteni M, De Rosa M. Exopolysaccharides production in Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Lactobacillus casei exploiting microfiltration. Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology. 2006; 33(5): 384-390.
- Yamaguchi Y HV, Itami S, Yoshikawa K, Katayama I. Mesenchymal–epithelial interactions in the skin: aiming for site-specific tissue regeneration. Journal of Dermatological Science. 2005; 40(1): 1-9.
- Mashayekh S, Heydari Nasrabadi M, Hjati V, Tajabadi Ebrahimi M. Effects of Lactobacillus casei bacteria killed by chloroform on cutaneous wound healing in rats on days 3 and 7. Journal of Animal Biology. 2013; 6(2):(Persian).
- Zahedi F, Heydari NM, Tajabadi Ebrahimi M, Aboutalebi H, Shabani M. The effect of Lactobacillus berevis on cutaneous wound healing in rats. Journal of Arak medical Sicence University. 2011; 14: 30-37 (Persian).
- Mosavi F, Rahnama M, Heydariye N, Tajabadi Ebrahimi M. Repair effect of probiotic bacterium Lactobacillus pentosus native to Iran on healing of stomach ulcer caused by acetic acid in male Wistar rats. Journal of Arak medical Sicence University. 2013; 16(2): 81-90 (Persian).
- Dehghan Bonadaki S, Zahedi F. Study the probiotic effects of Lactobacillus plantarum on cutaneous wound healing in rat. New Cellular and Molecular Biotechnology Journal. 2011; 1(1): 21-27.
- Olofsson TC, Butler E, Lindholm C, Nilson B, Michanek P, Vásquez A. Fighting off wound pathogens in horses with honeybee lactic acid bacteria. Current Microbiology. 2016; 73(4): 463-473.
- Wilmink JM, Ladefoged S, Jongbloets A, Vernooij JC. The evaluation of the effect of probiotics on the healing of equine distal limb wounds. PloS one. 2020; 15(7): e0236761.
- Ghasemi Pirbalouti A, Koohpayeh A, Karimi I. The wound healing activity of flower extracts of Punica granatum and Achillea kellalensis in Wistar rats.. Acta Poloniae Pharmaceutica. 2010; 67: 107-110.
- Auer JA, Stick JA. Equine Surgery-E-Book. Elsevier Health Sciences; 2018.