Document Type : Original Article
1 Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, Shiraz University, Shiraz, Iran.
2 Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Arsanjan Branch, Islamic Azad University, Arsanjan, Iran.
This study aimed to compare acute phase proteins in cats undergoing ovariohysterectomy (OHE) by median celiotomy or left flank laparotomy approach. Nineteen native intact queens were used. Cats were randomly divided into four groups for midline (Test, n=5 and control, n=5) and left flank (Test, n=5 and control, n=4) ovariohysterectomy. Blood samples were taken immediately before surgery, 24, 48, 72 hours, and 7 days after surgery for assessment of Alpha-1-acid glycoprotein (AGP), total protein, and albumin values. According to the results, standard and left flank OHE approaches increased AGP levels, but no significant difference was observed compared to the control group (p > 0.05). No significant difference was observed on serum total protein and albumin levels using standard and left flank OHE approaches compared to the control group (p > 0.05). The results suggested two surgical procedures had the same effect on acute-phase proteins in ovariohysterectomized cats.
- Shirodkar K, Chariar VM, Tank PH, Mankad MY, Paithanpagare YM. Laparoscopic oophorectomy in bitches. Indian Journal of Veterinary Surgery. 2008; 29(1): 11-13.
- Roberts ML, Beatty JA, Dhand NK, Barrs VR. Effect of age and surgical approach on perioperative wound complication following ovariohysterectomy in shelter-housed cats in Australia. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery Open Reports. 2015; 1(2): 2055116915613358.
- Ferro VA, Sliwowska JH, Al-Qaraghuli M, Alsaadi M. Methods of sterilization and contraception in mammals. In: Encyclopedia of Reproduction. 2018; 802-811.
- Grentzer JM, Parks C, Peipert JF. Contraception and sterilization. In: Clinical Reproductive Medicine and Surgery. Springer, 2017;447-460.
- Coe RJ, Grint NJ, Tivers MS, Hotston Moore A, Holt PE. Comparison of flank and midline approaches to the ovariohysterectomy of cats. Veterinary Record. 2006; 159(10): 309-313.
- Alves AE, Ribeiro AP, Di Filippo PA, Apparicio MF, Fagliari JJ, Vicente WR. Leucogram and serum acute phase protein concentrations in queens submitted to conventional or videolaparoscopic ovariectomy. Arquivo Brasileiro de Medicina Veterinária e Zootecnia. 2010; 62(1): 86-91.
- Kann RK, Seddon JM, Henning J, Meers J. Acute phase proteins in healthy and sick cats. Research in Veterinary Science. 2012; 93(2): 649-654.
- Rosa RM, Mestrinho LAP. Acute phase proteins in cats. Ciência Rural. 2019; 49.
- Eckersall P, Bell R. Acute phase proteins: Biomarkers of infection and inflammation in veterinary medicine. The Veterinary Journal 2010; 185: 23-27.
- Kiani FA, Kachiwal AB, Shah MG, Nizamani ZA, Khand FM, Lochi GM, Haseeb A, Khokhar AM, Oad A, Ansari MI. Comparative study on midline and flank approaches for ovariohystrectomy in cats. Journal of Agriculture and Food Technology. 2014; 4(2): 21-31.
- McGrath H, Hardie RJ, Davis E. Lateral flank approach for ovariohysterectomy in small animals. Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practising Veterinarian. 2004; 26: 922-930.
- Feathers D. Locating site of incision for flank approach to feline ovariohysterectomy. Veterinary Medicine and Small Animal Clinician. 1974; 69: 1069-1069.
- Plumb DC. Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook: Desk. John Wiley & Sons. 2018.
- Cagnardi P, Villa R, Zonca A, Gallo M, Beccaglia M, Luvoni GC, Vettorato E, Carli S, Fonda D, Ravasio G. Pharmacokinetics, intraoperative effect and postoperative analgesia of tramadol in cats. Research in Veterinary Science. 2011; 90(3): 503-509.
- Murugesan V, Arunachalam K, Shanmugam K, Palanivel M. Comparative study on midline and lateral flank approaches for ovariohysterectomy in cats. Pharma Innovation Journal. 2020; 9: 191-193.
- Clapperton M, Bishop SC, Pineiro M, Campbell FM, Glass EJ. The association between plasma levels of acute phase proteins, haptoglobin, alpha-1 acid glycoprotein (AGP), pig-MAP, transthyretin and serum amyloid A (SAA) in Large White and Meishan pigs. Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology. 2007; 119: 303-309.
- Hajimohammadi A, Nazifi S, Ansari-Lari M, Khoshmanzar MR, Bigdeli SM. Identifying relationships among acute phase proteins (haptoglobin, serum amyloid A, fibrinogen, ceruloplasmin) and clinical findings in dairy calf diarrhea. Comparative Clinical Pathology. 2013; 22: 227-232.
- Cerón JJ, Eckersall PD, Martínez‐Subiela S. Acute phase proteins in dogs and cats: current knowledge and future perspectives. Veterinary Clinical Pathology. 2005; 34: 85-99.
- Langley-Hobbs S. Sutures and general surgical implants. Feline Soft Tissue and General Surgery E-Book. 2013: 105.
- Swaffield MJ, Molloy SL, Lipscomb VJ. Prospective comparison of perioperative wound and pain score parameters in cats undergoing flank vs midline ovariectomy. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery. 2020; 22: 168-177.
- Fazio E, Medica P, Cravana C, Pupillo A, Ferlazzo A. Effects of ovariohysterectomy in dogs and cats on adrenocortical, haematological and behavioural parameters. Acta Scientiae Veterinariae. 2015; 43: 1339.