Document Type : Original Article
1 Department of Veterinary Radiology, Faculty of Specialized Veterinary Sciences, Islamic Azad University, Science And Research Branch, Tehran, Iran.
2 Department of Small Animal Internal Medicine, Faculty of Specialized Veterinary Sciences, Islamic Azad University, Science And Research Branch, Tehran, Iran.
3 Department of Food Hygiene, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
Domestic rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus) are an excellent model for cardiovascular research because the size of these animals is more suitable for study and experimentation than smaller animals. One of the most important diagnostic imaging methods is echocardiography, which is used today to evaluate the anatomical and functional cardiovascular system and is one of the most accurate and sensitive non-invasive methods for examining heart disease. Ventricular function indices can be assessed with cardiac imaging techniques. One of these important cardiac parameters is the ejection fraction (EF), which has a valuable place along with other involved parameters. EF is a measure of the percentage of blood that comes out of the heart with each contraction. For this study, 100 adult and young standard domestic rabbits, six months to one year old and in both sexes (50 female and 50 male rabbits) without anesthesia and sedation were used. In this study, the mean EF in domestic rabbits studied in males was 58.753 ± 6.889 and females 61.397 ± 6.530, which are comparable to the items mentioned in the valid books and the average size of EF measured in this study, there is no significant difference between this research and other research. There was no significant difference in the percentage of EF between most weight groups, but there was a significant difference (p < 0.05) in weight groups (2161–2320 g and 2481–2640 g). Echocardiographic EF reference values for domestic rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus) non-anesthetized with are presented providing reference values for future studies.
- Li X, Murphy JC, Lipman NS. Eisenmenger’s syndrome in a New Zealand white rabbit. Labratory Animal Science. 1995; 45: 618-620.
- Martin MW, Darke PG, Else RW. Congestive heart failure with atrial fibrillation in a rabbit. Veterinary Record. 1987; 121: 570-571.
- Moïse NS, Fox PR. Echocardiography and Doppler imaging. In: Fox PR, Sisson D, Moïse NS, eds. Textbook of canine and feline cardiology. 2nd Philadelphia: WB Saunders Co, 1999; 130-171.
- O'Leary CA, Mackay BM, Taplin RH, Atwell RB. Echocardiographic parameters in 14 healthy English bull terriers. Australian veterinary journal. 2003; 81(9): 535-542.
- Gooding JP, Robinson WF, Mews GC. Echocardiographic characterization of dilatation cardiomyopathy in the English Cocker Spaniel. American Journal of Veterinary Research. 1986; 47: 1978-1983.
- Drourr L, Lefbom BK, Rosenthal SL, Tyrrell Jr WD. Measurement of M-mode echocardiographic parameters in healthy adult Maine Coon cats. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. 2005; 226(5): 734-737.
- Salemi VM, Bilate AM, Ramires FJ, Picard MH, Gregio DM, Kalil J, Neto EC, Mady C. Reference values from M-mode and Doppler echocardiography for normal Syrian hamsters. European Journal of Echocardiography. 2005; 6(1): 41-46.
- Pees M, Straub J, Krautwald-Junghanns ME. Echocardiographic examinations of 60 African grey parrots and 30 other psittacine birds. Veterinary Record. 2004; 155(3): 73-76.
- Thomas WP, Gaber CE, Jacobs GJ, Kaplan PM, Lombard CW, Vet M, Moise NS, Moses BL. Recommendations for standards in transthoracic two‐dimensional echocardiography in the dog and cat. Journal of veterinary internal medicine. 1993; 7(4): 247-252.
- Ware WA. Overview of echocardiography. Cardiovascular disease in small animal medicine. Manson Publishing Ltd. 2007: 68-90.
- Sahn DJ, DeMaria AN, Kisslo JO, Weyman AF. Recommendations regarding quantitation in M-mode echocardiography: results of a survey of echocardiographic measurements. Circulation. 1978; 58(6): 1072-1083.
- Rishniw M, Erb HN. Evaluation of four 2‐dimensional echocardiographic methods of assessing left atrial size in dogs. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 2000; 14(4): 429-435.
- Boon JA. Evaluation of size, function, and hemodynamics. Manual of Veterinary Echocardiography. 1998: 177-237.
- Hasenfuss G. Animal models of human cardiovascular disease, heart failure and hypertrophy. Cardiovascular Research. 1998; 39(1): 60-76.
- Donnelly TM. Basic anatomy, physiology, and husbandry rabbit. Ferrets, Rabbits, and Rodents Clinical Medicine and Surgery. 1997: 147-59.
- Gava, F.N., Zacché, E., Ortiz, E.M.G. Doxorubicin induced dilated cardiomyopathy in a rabbit model: an update. Research in Veterinary Science. 2013; 94: 115–121.
- Boon J, Wingfield WE, Miller CW. Echocardiographic indices in the normal dog. Veterinary Radiology. 1983; 24(5): 214-221.
- Fontes-Sousa AP, Bras-Silva C, Moura MD, Areias JC, Leite-Moreira AF. M-mode and Doppler echocardiographic reference values for males New Zealand white rabbits. American Journal of Veterinary Research. 2006; 67: 1725–1729.
- Stypmann J, Engelen MA, Breithardt AK, Milberg P, Rothenburger M, Breithardt OA, Breithardt G, Eckardt L, Cordula PN. Doppler echocardiography and Tissue Doppler Imaging in the healthy rabbit: differences of cardiac function during awake and anaesthetised examination. International Journalof Cardiology. 2007; 115: 164–170.
- Fox PR, Bond BR, Peterson ME. Echocardiographic reference values in healthy cats sedated with ketamine hydrochloride. American Journal of Veterinary Research. 1985; 46(7): 1479-1484.
- Jacobs G, Knight DH. M-mode echocardiographic measurements in nonanesthetized healthy cats: effects of body weight, heart rate, and other variables. American Journal of Veterinary Research. 1985; 46(8): 1705-1711.
- Slater JD, Herrtage ME. Echocardiographic measurements of cardiac dimensions in normal ponies and horses. Equine Veterinary Journal. 1995; 27(S19): 28-32.
- Vastenburg MH, Boroffka SA, Schoemaker NJ. Echocardiographic measurements in clinically healthy ferrets anesthetized with isoflurane. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound. 2004; 45(3): 228-232.
- Linde A, Summerfield NJ, Johnston M, Melgarejo T, Keffer A, Ivey E. Echocardiography in anesthetized chinchillas. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 2004; 18: 772–774.
- Fontes-Sousa AP, Brás-Silva C, Moura C, Areias JC, Leite-Moreira AF. M-mode and Doppler echocardiographic reference values for male New Zealand white rabbits, American Journal of Veterinary Research. 2006; 67(10): 1725-1729.