Document Type : Clinical Report
1 Small Animal Soft Tissue surgeon, NRK Pet Surgical and Eye Clinic, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
2 Veterinary Ophthalmic Surgeon, NRK Pet Surgical and Eye Clinic, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
Various degrees of entropion defects with redundant skin folds due to conformational defects are common in Chow Chow and Shar Pei breeds of dogs. The irritation caused by the eyelid and hairs on the conjunctiva results in lacrimation and blepharospasm. In severe cases, as the dogs reach 7-8 months of age the complications of this extreme entropion result in a corneal ulcer. Temporary tacking of the facial folds was resorted to augment the corneal healing and to assess the size of the skin to be removed later. Surgical excision of wrinkles - rhytidectomy was done as radical surgery and was found satisfactory. The area of natural tension lines along the wrinkles in the coronal region was marked before excision and for a good cosmetic outcome. This paper describes the need for a rhytidectomy -excision of large facial skin folds- in Chow Chow and Shar Pei breeds of dogs to correct bilateral superior total entropion
- Gelatt KN. Essentials of veterinary ophthalmology. John Wiley & Sons. 2014; 163-185.
- Petersen-Jones SM, Crispin SM. BSAVA Manual of small animal ophthalmology. British Small Animal Veterinary Association. 2002; 133-166
- Stades FC, Gelatt KN. Diseases and surgery of the canine eyelid. In: Essentials of Veterinary Ophthalmology. 2008; 22: 53.
- Gelatt KN, Gilger BC, Kern TJ. Veterinary ophthalmology. John Wiley & Sons. 2012; 1820-1896
- Willis AM, Martin CL, Stiles J, Kirschner SE. Brow suspension for treatment of ptosis and entropion in dogs with redundant facial skin folds. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. 1999; 214(5): 660-662.
- McCallum P, Welser J. Coronal rhytidectomy in conjunction with deep plane walking sutures, modified Hotz‐Celsus and lateral canthoplasty procedure in a dog with excessive brow droop. Veterinary Ophthalmolog 2004; 7(5): 376-379.
- Blogg JR. Diseases of the eyelids. In: The eye in veterinary practice. W.B. Sauders. Philadelphia. 1980; 314.
- Stuhr CM, Stanz K, Murphy CJ, McAnulty J. Stellate rhytidectomy: superior entropion repair in a dog with excessive facial skin. Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association. 1997; 33(4): 342-345.
- Elkwood A, Matarasso A, Rankin M, Elkowitz M, Godek CP. National plastic surgery survey: brow lifting techniques and complications. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2001; 108(7): 2143-21
- S. Modified brow sling technique for the upper lid entropion. Proceedings of the Scientific meeting of the American college of veterinary Ophthalmologists. 1995; 25: 68-69.