Document Type : Clinical Report
1 Department of Teaching Veterinary Clinics, Madras Veterinary College, Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chennai, India.
2 Department of Veterinary Surgery and Radiology, Madras Veterinary College, Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chennai, India.
A two-year-old, Mongrel, intact male dog was presented to Madras Veterinary College Teaching Hospital with a complaint of postprandial regurgitation that was repeated at each meal. On physical examination, the animal was below ideal weight and with mild respiratory distress. It was suspected of megaesophagus. Thoracic contrast radiography revealed the presence of an esophageal diverticulum along with foreign bodies at the level of the base of the heart. The diverticulum was surgically corrected and the animal made an uneventful recovery. Six months follow-up did not show any recurrence of symptoms. This paper describes an acquired esophageal diverticulum in a dog. Diverticulectomy is an effective surgical technique to remove a large esophageal diverticulum and can be performed with good outcomes.
- Washabau RJ. Disorders of the pharynx and oesophagus. In: Hall EJ, Simpson JW, Williams DA, eds. BSAVA Manual Canine and Feline Gastroenterology. 2nd British Small Animal Association, Gloucester, 2005; 143-144.
- Gualtieri M. Esophagoscopy. Veterinary Clinics of North America: Small Animal Practice. 2001; 31(1): 605-630.
- Guilford WG, Strombeck. Diseases of Swallowing. In: Strombeck DR, eds. Strombeck´s Small Animal Gastroenterology. 3rd WB Saunders, Philadelphia, 1996; 211-238.
- Orton EC. Esophagus. In: Orton EC, Monnet E, eds. Small Animal Thoracic Surgery, 1st John Wiley & Sons, 2018; 101-109.
- Parker NR, Caywood DD. Surgical disease of the esophagus. Veterinary Clinics of North America: Small Animal Practice. 1987; 17 (2): 333- 358.
- Oliveira TNA, Veloso JF, Rocha PS, Lacerda PD, Carlos SA. Esophageal diverticulum and megaesophagus in a dog and a cat. Acta Scientiae Veterinariae. 2018; 46(1): 249.
- Hill FWG, Christiew BA, Reynolds T, Lavelle RB. An esophageal diverticulum in a dog. Australian Veterinary Journal. 1979; 55: 184-187.
- Pearson H, Gibbs C, Kelly DF. Oesophageal diverticulum formation in the dog. Journal of Small Animal Practice. 1978; 19: 341-355.
- Basher J, Hogan P, Hanna P, Runyon CL, Shaw DH. Surgical treatment of a congenital esophagobronchial fistula in a dog. Journal of American Veterinary Medical Association. 1991; 199(4): 479-482.
- Washabau RJ, Day MJ. Esophagus. In: Canine & Feline Gastroenterology. Elsevier Saunders, Missouri, 2013; 595.
- Hernandez CA, Gaviria A, Restrepo R. Oesophageal diverticulum in a German shepherd: a case report. Colombian Journal of Animal Sciences. 2007; 20(1): 72-78.
- Iwasaki M, de Martin BW, Alwarenga J, Hagiwara M. Double esophageal diverticulum in dog. Revista de Faculdade de Medicina Veterinaria e Zootecnia da Universidade de Sao Paulo. 1977; 14 (l): 77-78.
- Park HA, Kim JW, Park HM. Characteristics of esophageal diverticula using computed tomography and three-dimensional reconstruction in a Maltese dog. Journal of Veterinary Medical Science. 2012; 74(9): 1233–1236.