Document Type : Clinical Report
1 Department of Internal Medicine and Clinical Pathology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Urmia University, Urmia, Iran.
2 Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Urmia University, Urmia, Iran.
3 Department of Surgery and Diagnostic Imaging, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Urmia University, Urmia, Iran.
Meningocele is a congenital defect defined as a herniation of dura through the defect of cranial bone (cranium bifidum) with an accumulation of CSF in it. This anomaly has been described in calf, lamb, foal, piglet, dog, and cat. The etiology of meningocele is unknown but genetic and environmental factors may cause meningocele in lambs. A seven-day-old female Kurdish lamb with a congenital mass (8 cm in diameter) in the caudal part of its head was referred to the Veterinary Teaching Hospital of Urmia University. The lamb was lateral recumbent and the vital signs were in the normal range. Symptoms of pain and paddling were revealed while manipulating the mass. The fluid obtained from the mass was examined under a microscope and showed no signs of bacteria or inflammatory cells. Total serum protein was 8.9 g/dL and mean platelet volume (MPV) was 2.5 fl and other blood parameters were normal. In radiography, there was a bone defect in the skull and congenital cranium bifidum and meningocele were confirmed. The meningocele mass was removed with surgery and the skin was stitched. The clinical condition of the lamb did not improve after surgery. The lamb had died 5 days after surgery. This report presents the clinical findings and radiographs of cranium bifidum in a Kurdish lamb. The prognosis for surgical treatment is poor in cases where the animal has not been able to stand and suckle since birth.
- Tanrisever M, Unsaldi E. A Case of Meningocele in an Akkaraman Lamb. International Journal of Veterinary and Animal Research. 2018; 1(2): 42–44.
- Constable PD, Hinchcliff KW, Done SH, Grunberg W. Veterinary Medicine: A textbook of the diseases of cattle, sheep, goats, pigs and horses. 11th Saunders Elsevier. Philadelphia, 2017.
- de Sousa MC, de Oliveira LP, Muramoto C, de Mendonça MFF, da Silva AWO, Leal PV, da Cunha Peixoto T. Meningocele and Meningoencephalocele in piglets: pathologic and imaging aspects. Acta Scientiae Veterinariae. 2020; 48: 1–9.
- Alonso JD, Pedro Filho TH, Ávila AR, Machado VM, Hataka A, Bueno LM, Alves AL, Hussni CA, Rodrigues CA, Watanabe MJ. Surgical repair of an occipital meningocele in a foal. Journal of Equine Veterinary Science. 2019; 81: 102771.
- Kisipan ML, Orenge CO, Gacheru DN, Ngure RM. A case of cranium bifidum with meningocele in Ayrshire calf. BMC Veterinary Research. 2017; 13(1): 20.
- Yadegari M, Dehkordi SN, Dehkordi EV, Jafariyan M. Cranium bifidum with meningocele in a lamb : a case report. Research Opinions in Animal and Veterinary Sciences. 2013; 3(11): 387–390.
- Mirshahi A, Seifi A, Maleki M, Mehrjerdi HK, Halimi HA. Three-dimensional computed tomography diagnosis of cranium bifidum with meningocele in a lamb. Iranian Journal of Veterinary Surgery. 2012; (7): 85–90.
- Nunes MVL, Nakagaki KYR, Miranda DNP, dos Santos Mesquita LE, Gomes TA, Moulin MRI, Wouters ATB, Wouters F, Raymundo DL, Varaschin MS. Mature Intracranial teratoma with meningocele in a lamb. Cienc Rural. 2020; 50(12): 1–4.
- Aher VD, Dhage GP, Gangane GR, Balage PR. A successful surgical repair of cranial meningocele with bilateral nasal choristoma in a calf. International Journal of Veterinary Science. 2017; 6(3): 141–143.
- Lavanya C, Kumaresan A, Dharmaceelan S, Sivaraman S, Sowbharenya C. Surgical management of congenital cranium bifidum and meningocoele in a lamb. Indian Veterinary Journal. 2017; 94(6): 21–22.
- Kamali Y. Successful Surgery repair of meningocele associated with cranium bifidum in a lamb : a report of a case and review of the literature. The 1st International Congress of Large Animal Internal Medicine. 2016; 28.
- Raoofi A, Dehghan MM, Mardjanmehr SH, Soroori S, Hemmatzadeh F, Lotfollahzadeh S, Nekoei S. Cranium bifidum with meningocele in a lamb. Small Ruminant Research. 2004; 55(1–3): 253–256.
- Dennis SM. Congenital defects of the nervous system of lambs. Australian Veterinary Journal. 1975; 51(8): 385–388.