Document Type : Original Article
- Seyed Mohammad Ali Sadat-Hosseini 1
- Hamid Reza Moslemi 2
- Mohammad Sadegh Nourbakhsh 3
- Sahar Ghaffari-Khaligh 4
1 DVM Graduated, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Semnan University, Semnan, Iran.
2 Department of Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Semnan University, Semnan, Iran.
3 Faculty of Materials and Metallurgical Engineering, Semnan University, Semnan, Iran.
4 Department of Pathobiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Semnan University, Semnan, Iran.
Injury and degeneration of tendons can be highly debilitating and can result in substantial pain, disability, and healthcare costs. Nano-sized fibers have a much wider surface area than conventionally produced fibers, which can hold composite materials more compactly and thus provide greater mechanical capabilities. In this study, the injured tendon was treated by electrospun PVA mats containing eucalyptus extract and histopathological results of healing were evaluated. For this study, 45 male Wistar rats were prepared and a partial thickness tenotomy was created on right hindlimbs. All rats were divided into three groups (n = 15) and three sub-groups (n = 5) including, eucalyptus extract-loaded nanofibers, PVA nanofibers, and without any treatment as a control group. Histological samples were taken on days 14, 28, and 42. The histological analysis on day 14 indicated no significant difference was observed between all groups (p > 0.05). While on days 28 and 42 post-rupture indicated a higher regenerating activity and capacity in the eucalyptus extract-loaded nanofibers than PVA nanofiber and control groups (p ≤ 0.05). In summary, these results suggest that the eucalyptus extract-loaded nanofibers mats promoted the healing process of damaged Achilles tendon in rats.
- Sharma P, Maffulli N. Tendon injury and tendinopathy: healing and repair. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, 2005; 87(1): 187-202.
- Ng GY, Fung DT. The combined treatment effects of therapeutic laser and exercise on tendon repair. Photomedicine and Laser Surgery, 2008; 26(2): 137-141.
- Chan HK, Fung DT, Ng GY. Effects of low-voltage microamperage stimulation on tendon healing in rats. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy, 2007; 37(7): 399-403.
- Fillipin LI, Mauriz JL, Vedovelli K, Moreira AJ, Zettler CG, Lech O, González‐Gallego J. Low‐level laser therapy (LLLT) prevents oxidative stress and reduces fibrosis in rat traumatized Achilles tendon. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine: The Official Journal of the American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery, 2005; 37(4): 293-300.
- Firenzuoli F, Gori L. Herbal Medicine Today: Clinical and Research Issues. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2007; 4(S1): 37-40.
- Vecchio MG, Loganes C, Minto C. Beneficial and healthy properties of eucalyptus plants: A great potential use. The Open Agricultural Journal, 2016; 10(1): 52-57.
- Zhang J, An M, Wu H, Stanton R, Lemerle D. Chemistry and bioactivity of eucalyptus essential oils. Allelopathy Journal, 2010; 25(2): 313-330.
- Huang G, Dong F, Wang J, Jia Y. Synthesis and characterization of block tercopolymer and degradation behavior of their nano-structured fibers via electrospinning. Polymer Degradation and Stability, 2012; 97(6): 1067-1073.
- Ondarcuhu T, Joachim C. Drawing a single nanofibre over hundreds of microns. Europhysics Letters, 1998; 42(2): 215.
- Feng L, Li S, Li H, Zhai J, Song Y, Jiang L, Zhu D. Super‐hydrophobic surface of aligned polyacrylonitrile nanofibers. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2002; 41(7): 1221-1223.
- Ma PX, Zhang R. Synthetic nano‐scale fibrous extracellular matrix. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, 1999; 46(1): 60-72.
- Beachley V, Wen X. Polymer nanofibrous structures: Fabrication, biofunctionalization, and cell interactions. Progress in Polymer Science, 2010; 35(7): 868-892.
- Fakruddin M, Hossain Z, Afroz H. Prospects and applications of nanobiotechnology: A medical perspective. Journal of Nanobiotechnology, 2012; 10(1): 1-8.
- Chen L, Liu J, Tang K, Wang Q, Wang G, Caia X, Liu X. Tendon derived stem cells promote platelet-rich plasma healing in collagenase-induced rat Achilles tendinopathy. Cellular Physiology and Biochemistry, 2014; 34: 2153-2168.
- Hussain L, Akash MS, Tahir M, Rehman K, Ahmed KZ. Hepatoprotective effects of methanolic extract of Alcea rosea against acetaminophen-induced hepatotoxicity in mice. Bangladesh Journal of Pharmacology, 2014; 9(3): 322-327.
- Dhakad AK, Pandey VV, Beg S, Rawat JM, Singh A. Biological, medicinal and toxicological significance of eucalyptus leaf essential oil: a review. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 2018; 98(3): 833-848.
- Nazari S, Nazarnezhad N, Ebrahimzadeh MA. Evaluation of antioxidant properties and total phenolic and flavonoids content of Eucalyptus camaldulensis and Pinus sylvestris bark. Iranian Journal of Wood Paper Science Research, 2013; 3(44): 522-533.
- Kandar R, Zakova P, Muzakova V. Monitoring of antioxidant properties of uric acid in humans for a consideration measuring of levels of allantoin in plasma by liquid chromatography. Clinica Chimica Acta, 2006; 365(1-2): 249-256.
- Mantashlo J, Deljou A, Piri K. The study of flavonoids and antioxidant power of etanolic, metanolic, hydroalcholic and etylacetatic extracts of branch and stem bark of Salix alba. Journal of Cellular and Molecular Research, 2017; 30(3): 295-303.
- Mehmet O, Yagiz U, Mehmet G. Comparison of the effects of specific and nonspecific inhibition of nitric oxide synthase on morphine analgesia, tolerance and dependence in mice. Life Sciences, 2003; 72(17): 1943-1951.
- Davidson EM, Coggeshall RE, Carlton SM. Peripheral NMDA and non-NMDA glutamate receptors contribute to nociceptive behaviors in the rat formalin test. Neuroreport, 1997; 8(4): 941-946.
- Rang HO, Date MM, Ritter JM. Textbook of pharmacology, 3rd Ed. New York: Churchill & Livingstone, USA, 1999.
- Eidi A, Rustaiyan A, Eidi M, Shabani S. Anti-inflammatory effect of ethanolic extract and essential oil of Eucalyptus globulus in mice. Medical Sciences Journal of Islamic Azad University, Tehran Medical Branch, 2009; 19(4): 217-222.
- Patel RV, Mistry BM, Shinde SK, Syed R, Singh V, Shin HS. Therapeutic potential of quercetin as a cardiovascular agent. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 2018; 155: 889-904.
- Ruiz PA, Braune A, Holzlwimmer G, Quintanilla-Fend L, Haller D. Quercetin inhibits TNF-induced NF-κ B transcription factor recruitment to proinflammatory gene promoters in murine intestinal epithelial cells. The Journal of Nutrition, 2007; 137(5): 1208-1215.
- Man S, GAO W, Zhang Y, Huang L, Liu C. Chemical study and medical application of saponins as anti-cancer agents. Fitoterapia, 2010; 81(7): 703-714.