Document Type : Clinical Report
Department of Pathobiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tabriz, Tabriz, Iran.
Background- Neoplastic diseases are one of the main factors that threaten the life span of pet birds. Osteoma and osteosarcoma are considered as the most prevalent of neoplasms in the skeletal system, which were reported in several species of the birds.
Case Description- This paper describes gross and histopathological features of telangiectatic osteosarcoma in an adult male budgerigar (Melopsittacus undulatus) with weakness, general depression and weight loss.
Clinical Findings- At necropsy, a firm mass with approximately one cm in size and brown color involved the tibiotarsus. Pathology examination of the mass indicated bloody cystic lesions accompanied by occasional spicules of osteoid between pleomorphic mesenchymal cells, which it was found minimal.
Clinical Relevance- Telangiectatic osteosarcoma should be differentiated from either hemangiosarcoma or aneurysmal bone cyst. This is the first report of osteosarcoma in the budgerigar.
- Schmidt RE, Reavill DR, Phalen DN. Pathology of pet and aviary birds. 2nd ed. JohnWiley & Sons, Inc., 2015; 199-220
- Klein MJ and Siegal GP. Osteosarcoma. Anatomic and histologic variants. American Journal of Clinical Pathology, 2006; 125: 555-581.
- Thampson KG, Dittmer KE. Tumors of bone. In: Meuten DJ, edr. Tumors in Domestic Animals. 5th ed. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2017; 357-424.
- Mueller f, Fuchs B, Kaser-Hotz B. Comparative biology of human and canine osteosarcoma. Anticancer Research, 2007; 27: 155-164.
- Simova-Curd S, Nitzl D, Mayer J and Hatt JM. Clinical approach to renal neoplasia in budgerigars (Melopsittacus undulatus). Journal of Small Animal Practice, 2006; 47: 504–511.
- Nair V. Neoplastic diseases In: Swayne DE, edr. Diseases of Poultry. 13th ed. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2013; 604-675.
- Payne LN and Nair V. The long view: 40 years of avian leukosis research. Avian Pathology, 2012; 41: 1-9.
- Reece RL. Observations on naturally occurring neoplasms in birds in the state of Victoria, Australia, Avian Pathology, 1992; 21(1): 3-32.