Document Type : Original Article
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Babol Branch, Islamic Azad University, Babol, Iran
Department of pharmacology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Babol Branch, Islamic Azad University, Babol, Iran
Objective- Cutaneous wound healing is an essential physiological process consisting of the collaboration of many cell strains and their products. Initiation of new management for treatment of wound infections caused by multidrug resistant Staphylococcus aureus is required. The aim of the present study was to assess wound healing activity of Ferula assa-foetida loaded chitosan nanoparticle biofilm in methicillin resistant S. aureus (MRSA) infected wounds in rats.
Design- Experimental study
Animals- Forty eight male healthy Wistar rats.
Procedures- The animals were randomized into four groups of 12 animals each. In group I, the wounds were infected with MRSA and only treated with 0.1 mL the sterile saline 0.9% solution. In group II, the infected wounds were dressed with chitosan nanoparticles biofilm. In group III, animals with infected wounds were treated with 0.1 mL topical application of Ferula assa-foetida. In group IV, animals with infected wounds were dressed with Ferula assa-foetida loaded chitosan nanoparticles biofilm.
Results- Microbiological examination, planimetric, biomechanical, histological and quantitative morphometric studies and determination of hydroxyproline levels showed that there was significant difference between animals in group IV compared to other groups (p = 0.001).
Conclusion and Clinical Relevance- Ferula assa-foetida loaded chitosan nanoparticles biofilm could be useful for treatment of MRSA infected wounds in diabetes.
- Shaw TJ, Martin P. Wound repair at a glance. Journal of Cell Science. 2009; 122: 3209-3213.
- Eming SA, Krieg T, Davidson JM. Inflammation in wound repair: molecular and cellular mechanisms. Journal of Investigative Dermatology. 2007; 127: 514-525.
- Behpour M, Ghoreishi S, Khayatkashani M, Soltani N. The effect of two oleo-gum resin exudate from Ferula assa-foetida and Dorema ammoniacum on mild steel corrosion in acidic media. Corrosion Science, 2011; 53: 2489-2501.
- Golmohammadi F. Medical plant of Ferula assa-foetida and its cultivating, main characteristics and economical importance in south Khorasan province-east of Iran. Journal of Applied Science, Engineering and Technology, 2013; 3: 2334-2346.
- Lee CL, Chiang LC, Cheng LH, Liaw CC, Abd El-Razek MH, Chang FR, Wu YC. Influenza A (H1N1) antiviral and cytotoxic agents from Ferula assa-foetida. Journal of Natural Products, 2009; 72(9): 1568-1572.
- Dehpour AA, Ebrahimzadeh MA, Fazel NS, Mohammad NS. Antioxidant activity of the methanol extract of Ferula assa-foetida and its essential oil composition. Grasas Y Aceites, 2009; 60: 405-412.
- Angelini P, Pagiotti R, Venanzoni R, Granetti B. Antifungal and allelopathic effects of asafoetida against Trichoderma harzianum and Pleurotus spp. Allelopathy Journal, 2009; 23: 357-368.
- Sitara U, Niaz I, Naseem J, Sultana N. Antifungal effect of essential oils on in vitro growth of pathogenic fungi. Pakistan Journal of Botany, 2008; 40: 409-144.
- Singh R. In vitro evaluation of aqueous and alcoholic extracts of spices for antifungal properties. Indian Journal of Animal Sciences, 2007; 77: 675-677.
- Tang H, Zhang P, Kieft TL, Ryan SJ, Baker SM, Wiesmann WP, Rogelj S. Antibacterial action of a novelfunctionalized chitosan-arginine againstGram-negative bacteria. Acta Biomaterialia, 2010; 6(7): 2562–2571.
- Li P, Poon YF, Li W, Yeap SH, Cao Y, Qi X, Zhou C, Lamrani M, Beuerman RW, Kang ET, Mu Y, Li CM, Chang MW, Leong SS, Chan-Park MB. A polycationic antimicrobial and biocompatible hydrogel with microbe membrane suctioning ability. Nature Materials, 2011; 10(2): 149–156.
- Kong M, Chen XG, Xing K, Park HJ. Antimicrobial properties of chitosan and mode of action: a state of the art review. International Journal of Food Microbiology, 2010; 144(1): 51–63.
- Andres Y, Giraud L, Gerente C, Le Cloirec P. Antibacterial effects of chitosan powder: mechanisms of action. Environmental Technology, 2007; 28(12): 1357–1363.
- Raafat D, von Bargen K, Haas A, Sahl HG. Insights into the mode of action of chitosan as an antibacterial compound. Environmental Microbiology, 2008; 74(12), 3764–3773.
- Silva PV, Guedes DF, Nakadi FV, Pecora JD, Cruz-Filho AM. Chitosan: a new solution for removal of smear layer after root canal instrumentation. International Endodontic Journal, 2013; 46: 332-338.
- Calamari SE, Bojanich MA, Barembaum SR, Berdicevski N, Azcurra AI. Antifungal and post-antifungal effects of chlorhexidine, fluconazole, chitosan and its combinations on Candida albicans. Medicina Oral Patologia Oral y Cirugia Bucal, 2011; 16: 23-28
- Rampinoa A, Borgognaa M, Blasi P, Bellicha B, Cesàro A. Chitosan nanoparticles: Preparation, size evolution and stability. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 2013; 455(1-2): 219-228.
- Nayak V, Jyothi MS, Balakrishna RG, Padaki M, Ismail AF. Preparation and characterization of chitosan thin films on mixed-matrix membranes for complete removal of chromium. Chemistry Open 2015; 4(3): 278–287.
- Zimmermann M. Ethical guidelines for investigations of experimental pain in conscious animals. Pain, 1983; 16: 109-110.
- Kumar MS, Kirubanandan, S, Sripriya R, Sehgal PK. Triphala promotes healing of infected full-thickness dermal wound. Journal of Surgical Research, 2008; 44(1): 94-101.
- Qiu Z, Kwon AH, Kamiyama Y. Effects of plasma fibronectin on the healing of full-thickness skin wounds in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Journal of Surgical Research, 2007; 138(1): 64-70.
- Peters EJ, Lipsky BA. Diagnosis and management of infection in the diabetic foot. Medical Clinics of North America, 2013; 97(5): 911-946
- Pattanayak SP, Sunita P. Wound healing, anti-microbial and antioxidant potential of Dendrophthoe falcata (L.f) Ettingsh. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2008; 120(2): 241-247.
- Jonaidi J, Kargozari N, Ranjbar M, Rostami RH, Hamedi H. The effect of chitosan coating incorporated with ethanolic extract of propolis on the quality of refrigerated chicken fillet. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation, 2018; 11: 1-8.
- Maghsoudi O, Ranjbar R, Mirjalili SH, Fasihi-Ramandi M. Inhibitory activities of platelet-rich and platelet-poor plasma on the growth of pathogenic bacteria. Iranian Journal of Pathology. 2017; 12(1): 79-87.
- Ranjbar R, Shahreza MHS, Rahimi E, Jonaidi-Jafari N. Methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus isolates from iranian restaurant food samples: Panton-valentine leukocidin, sccmec phenotypes and antimicrobial resistance. Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 2017; 16(8): 1939-1949.
- Memariani H, Shahbazzadeh D, Ranjbar R, Behdani M, Memariani M, Pooshang Bagheri K. Design and characterization of short hybrid antimicrobial peptides from pEM-2, mastoparan VT1, and mastoparan-B. Chemical Biology Drug Design, 2017; 89(3): 327-338.
- Javanmardi S, Divband B. Beneficial effects of Ag-exchanged zeolite nanocomposite on excisional wound in rats. Iranian Journal of Veterinary Surgery, 2017; 12(1): 25-32.
- Kazemi-Darabadi S, Akbari G, Jarolmasjed SH, Shahbazfar AA. A Histopathologic study of effects of olive oil plus lime water on third-degree burn in mouse model. Iranian Journal of Veterinary Surgery, 2017; 12(1): 55-63.
- Martin J, Zenilman M, Lazarus GS. Molecular microbiology: new dimensions for cutaneous biology and wound healing. Journal of Investigative Dermatology, 2010; 130(1): 38-48.
- Berridge MJ. Cell Stress, Inﬂammatory Responses and Cell Death. Cell Signaling Biology, 2014; 14(1): 1-30.
- Boyce ST, Lalley AL. Tissue engineering of skin and regenerative medicine for wound care. Burns Trauma, 2018; 6: 4.
- Elmore S. Apoptosis: a review of programmed cell death. Toxicologic Pathology, 2007; 35(4): 495-516.
- Wu YS, Chen SN. Apoptotic cell: linkage of inflammation and wound healing. Frontiers in Pharmacology, 2014; 5: 1.
- Rostami H, Mohammadi R, Asri-Rezaei S, Tehrani AA. Evaluation of application of chitosan/nano sodium selenite biodegradable film on full thickness excisional wound healing in rats. Iranian Journal of Veterinary Surgery, 2018; 13(1): 15-24
- Shabrandi A, Azizi S, Hobbenaghi R, Ownagh A, Keshipour S. The healing effect of chitosan supported nano-CeO2 on experimental excisional wound infected with pseudomonas aeruginosa in rat. Iranian Journal of Veterinary Surgery, 2017; 12(2): 9-20
- Ong SY, Wu J, Moochhala SM, Tan MH, Lu J. Development of a chitosan-based wound dressing with improved hemostatic and antimicrobial properties. Biomaterials, 2008; 29(32): 4323–4332.
- Wiegand C, Winter D, Hipler UC. Molecular-weight-dependent toxic effects of chitosans on the human keratinocyte cell line HaCaT. Skin Pharmacology and Physiology, 2010; 23(3): 164–170.
- Sall KN, Kreter JK, Keates RH. The effect of chitosan on corneal wound healing. Annals of Ophthalmology, 1987; 19(1): 31–33.
- Halliwell B, Gutteridge JM, Cross CE. Free radicals, antioxidants and human disease: Where are we now? Journal of Laboratory and Clinical Medicine, 1992; 119: 598-620.
- Galeano M, Torre V, Deodato B, Campo GM, Colonna M, Sturiale A, Squadrito F, Cavallari V, Cucinotta D, Buemi M, Altavilla D.. Raxofelast, a hydrophilic vitamin E-like antioxidant, stimulates wound healing in genetically diabetic mice. Surgery, 2001; 129(4): 467-677.
- Musalmah M, Nizrana MY, Fairuz AH, NoorAini AH, Azian AL, Gapor MT, Wan Ngah WZ. Comparative effects of palm vitamin E and alpha-tocopherol on healing and wound tissue antioxidant enzyme levels in diabetic rats. Lipids, 2005; 40(6): 575-580.