Document Type : Clinical Report
1 Department of Surgery and Radiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
2 Graduated in Veterinary Surgery, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
3 Postgraduate Student in Veterinary Surgery, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
Diaphragmatic hernias are an uncommon cause of abdominal pain in horses. The following case report describes a diaphragmatic hernia in 2 adult horses with signs of acute colic. A six-year-old stallion and a seven-year-old mare were referred to the emergency duty for severe abdominal pain; for a six-month period from late 2021 to early 2022. The horses were subjected to explorative laparotomy, which revealed a migration of the large colon associated with volvulus (in stallion); and small intestine protrusion (in mare) in thoracic space. Necropsy revealed a diaphragmatic chronic rupture (approximately 13 centimeters in diameter) in the left mid-region with the protrusion of the large colon in the thoracic cavity in the male horse; and a diaphragmatic acute rupture (approximately 3 centimeters in diameter) in the left dorsolateral region with the incarceration of jejunum in thoracic cavity in the mare. This case report demonstrated that a diaphragmatic hernia should be considered as a differential diagnosis in equine colic.
- Toth F. Schumacher J. Abdominal hernia. In: Auer JA, Stick JA, Kummerle JM, Prange T. eds. Equine Surgery. 5th Edn, Missouri: Elsevier; 2019: 665.
- Röcken M, Gesine Mosel P, Barske K, Witte TS. Thoracoscopic diaphragmatic hernia repair in a warmblood mare. Veterinary Surgery. 2013; 42: 591-594.
- Sabev SP, Kanakov DT. Diaphragmatic hernia in a horse - a case report. Veterinarski Arhiv. 2009; 79: 97-103.
- Romero AE, Rodgerson DH. Diaphragmatic herniation in the horse: 31 cases from 2001-2006. The Canadian Veterinary Journal. 2010; 51: 1247-1250.
- Kelmer G, Kramer J, Wilson DA. Diaphragmatic hernia: etiology, clinical presentation and diagnosis. Compendium Equine. 2008a; 28-36.
- Freeman DE. Jejunum and ileum. In: Auer JA, Stick JA, Kummerle JM, Prange T. eds. Equine Surgery. 5th Missouri: Elsevier; 2019: 557.
- Zusatz M, Desbois C, Robert C, Carstanjen B. Diaphragmatic hernia and rib fractures in an adult horse with signs of colic. Pferdeheilkunde Equine Medicine. 2005; 21(5): 420-422.
- Hassel, MD. Thoracic trauma in horses. Veterinary Clinics of North America. Equine Practice. 2007; 23: 67-80.
- Kelmer G, Kramer J, Wilson DA. Diaphragmatic hernia: treatment, complications, and prognosis. Compendium Equine. 2008; 3: 37-46.
- Hart SK, Brown JA. Diaphragmatic hernia in horses: 44 cases (1986–2006). Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care. 2009; 19: 357-362.
- Santschi EM, Juzwiak JS, Moll HD, Slone DE. Diaphragmatic hernia repair in three young horses. Veterinary Surgery. 1997; 26: 242-245.
- Tapio H, Hewetson M, Sihvo HK. An unusual cause of colic in a neonatal foal. Equine Veterinary Education. 2012; 24: 334-339.
- Shnaiderman-Torban A, Epstein A, Kelmer G. Thoracotomy for repair of a large dorsal diaphragmatic hernia in an 18-year-old mare. Equine veterinary Education. 2015; 27(8): 391-395.
- Edwards GB. Diaphragmatic hernia - A diagnostic and surgical challenge. Equine Veterinary Education. 1993; 5: 267-269.
- Kamus L, RuzickovaP, PiatP, Trencart P, Bonilla Use of barbed suture for thoracoscopic repair of diaphragmatic hernias: Three cases. Equine Veterinary Education. 2022.
- Abu-Seida A. Diagnostic and treatment challenges for diaphragmatic hernia in equids: a concise review of literature. Journal of Equine Veterinary Science. 2021; 106: 103746.