Document Type : Original Article
Department of Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Urmia Branch, Islamic Azad University, Urmia, Iran
Department of Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Urmia Branch, Islamic Azad University, Urmia, Iran.
The objective was to evaluate the ability of cinnamon nanoparticles (CNPs) in the healing of wounds with Pseudomonas aeruginosa (PAE) infection as well as HAMLET sensitization in rats. Fifty healthy male Wistar rats were used in this study. The rats were divided into 5 groups (n = 10), randomly. In the NORMAL group, no infected wounds were treated with a sterile solution of saline 0.9% (0.1 ml). In the PAE group, the wounds with Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection were only treated with a sterile solution of saline 0.9% (0.1 ml). In the PAE-HMLT group, HAMLET (100 µg) was used to treat infected wounds. In the PAE-CNM group, 1 mg/ml CNPs (0.1 ml) were applied topically to treat PAE-infected wounds. In the PAE-HMLT-CNM group, HAMLET (100 µg) and 1 mg/ml CNPs (0.1 ml) were applied topically to treat PAE-infected wounds. Microbiological examination, planimetric and biochemical showed a significant difference between rats in the PAE-HMT-CNM group in comparison with other groups (p < 0.05). In conclusion, CNPs could offer the potential to pay more attention to this harmless and easily available agent to be topically applied in wounds with infection.
- Lin Z, Tschang CT, Liao K, Su C, Wu J, Ho M. Ar/O2 argon-based round atmospheric-pressure plasma jet on sterilizing bacteria and endospores. IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science. 2016; 44(12): 3140-3147.
- Adeghate J, Nurulain S, Tekes K, Fehér E, Kalász H, Adeghate E. Novel biological therapies for the treatment of diabetic foot ulcers. Expert Opinion on Biological Therapy. 2017; 17(8): 979-987.
- Stratman S, Schneider C, Kirsner RS. New therapies for the treatment of diabetic foot ulcers: updated review of clinical trials. Surgical Technology International. 2020; 37: 37-47.
- Everett E, Mathioudakis N. Update on management of diabetic foot ulcers. Annals of the New York Academy of 2018; 1411(1): 153-165.
- Xin Y, Xu P, Wang X, Chen Y, Zhang Z, Zhang Y. Human foreskin-derived dermal stem/progenitor cell-conditioned medium combined with hyaluronic acid promotes extracellular matrix regeneration in diabetic wounds. Stem Cell Research and Therapeutics. 2021; 12(1): 1-8.
- Manafi A, Kohanteb J, Mehrabani D, Japoni A, Amini M, Naghmachi M, Zaghi AH, Khalili N. Active immunization using exotoxin a confers protection against Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection in a mouse burn model. BMC Journal of Microbiology. 2009; 9: 23-27.
- Cho Lee AR, Leem H, Lee J, Chan Park K. Reversal of silver sulfadiazine-impaired wound healing by epidermal growth factor. Biomaterials. 2005; 26(22): 4670-4676.
- Thomas GW, Rael LT, Bar-Or R, Shimonkevitz R, Mains CW, Slone DS, Craun ML, Bar-Or D. Mechanisms of delayed wound healing by commonly used antiseptics. Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery. 2009; 66(1): 82-91.
- Alamiri F, Riesbeck K, Hakansson AP. HAMLET, a protein complex from human milk has bactericidal activity and enhances the activity of antibiotics against pathogenic Streptococci. Antimicrobial Agents Chemotherapy. 2019; 63(12):e01193-19.
- Alizadeh Behbahani B, Falah F, Lavi Arab F, Vasiee M, Tabatabaee Yazdi F. Chemical composition and antioxidant, antimicrobial, and antiproliferative activities of Cinnamomum zeylanicum bark essential oil. Evidenced Based Complementary Alternative Medicine.
- Escárcega-González CE, Garza-Cervantes JA, Vázquez-Rodríguez A, Montelongo-Peralta LZ, Treviño-González MT, Díaz Barriga Castro E, Saucedo-Salazar EM, Chávez Morales RM, Regalado Soto DI, Treviño González FM, Carrazco Rosales JL, Cruz RV, Morones-Ramírez JR. In vivo antimicrobial activity of silver nanoparticles produced via a green chemistry synthesis using Acacia rigidula as a reducing and capping agent. International Journal of Nanomedicine. 2018; 13: 2349-2363.
- Zhang C, Fan L, Fan S, Wang J, Luo T, Tang Y, Chen Z, Yu L. Cinnamomum cassia Presl: A review of its traditional uses, phytochemistry, pharmacology and toxicology. Molecules. 2019; 24(19): 3473.
- Salim AA, Bidin N, Ghoshal SK. Growth and characterization of spherical cinnamon nanoparticles: Evaluation of antibacterial efficacy. LWT- Food Science Technology. 2018; 90: 346-353.
- Taghavifar S, Afroughi F, Saadati Keyvan M. Curcumin nanoparticles improved diabetic wounds infected with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus sensitized with HAMLET. International Journal of Lower Extremity Wounds. 2022; 21(2):141-153.
- Falanga V. Wound healing and its impairment in the diabetic foot. 2005; 366: 1736-1743.
- Peters EJ, Lipsky BA. Diagnosis and management of infection in the diabetic foot. Medical Clinics of North America. 2013; 97(5): 911-946.
- Dogan S, Demirer S, Kepenekci I, Erkek B, Kiziltay A, Hasirci N, Müftüoglu S, Nazikoglu A, Renda N, Dincer UD, Elhan A, Kuterdem E. Epidermal growth factor-containing wound closure enhances wound healing in non-diabetic and diabetic rats. International Wound Journal. 2009; 6(2): 107-115.
- Martin JM, Zenilman JM, Lazarus GS. Molecular microbiology: new dimensions for cutaneous biology and wound healing. Journal of Investigative Dermatology. 2010; 130(1): 38-48.
- Diniz do Nascimento L, Moraes AAB, Costa KSD, Pereira Galúcio JM, Taube PS, Costa CML, Neves Cruz J, de Aguiar Andrade EH, Faria LJG. Bioactive natural compounds and antioxidant activity of essential oils from spice plants: new findings and potential applications. Biomolecules. 2020; 10(7): 988.
- Rodero MP, Khosrotehrani K. Skin wound healing modulation by macrophages. International Journal of Clinical Experimental Pathology. 2010; 3(7): 643-653.
- Kallel I, Hadrich B, Gargouri B, Chaabane A, Lassoued S, Gdoura R, Bayoudh A, Ben Messaoud E. Optimization of cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum Blume) essential oil extraction: evaluation of antioxidant and antiproliferative effects. Evidenced Based Complementary Alternative Medicine. 2019.
- Thangapazham RL, Sharad S, Maheshwari RK. Skin regenerative potentials of curcumin. Biofactors. 2013; 39(1): 141-149.
- Elmore S. Apoptosis: a review of programmed cell death. Toxicologic Pathology. 2007; 35(4): 495-516.
- Kardan T, Mohammadi R, Taghavifar S, Cheraghi M, Yahoo A, Mohammadnejad K. Polyethylene glycol-based nanocerium improves healing responses in excisional and incisional wound models in rats. International Journal of Lower Extremity Wounds. 2021; 20(3): 263-271.