Document Type : Clinical Report
1 Department of Clinical Sciences. Faculty of Veterinary Medicine. Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Mashhad, Iran.
2 Department of Clinical Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, Shiraz University, Shiraz, Iran.
Sharp wooden skewers can easily migrate from the gastrointestinal tract after ingestion and penetrate to abdominal and chest organs. Clinical signs can vary depending on the location of the foreign body. This report describes the death due to the penetration of a foreign body (kebab skewer) from the gastrointestinal tract into the lungs in a dog. A 6-month-old mixed-breed male dog weighing 16 kg was referred to the clinic due to severe dyspnea, anorexia, and diarrhea. The Physical examination showed a sharp increase in the number of breathing and severe dyspnea. Lateral thoracic radiography revealed the unilateral collapse of the caudal lobe of the lung and fluid accumulation or mass in the thorax. In order to obtain a dorsoventral radiograph, the dog was anesthetized using the diazepam-ketamine combination. Shortly after induction, the dog experienced cardiopulmonary arrest and cardiopulmonary resuscitation was not successful. At autopsy, a wooden kebab skewer with a length of about 15 cm was observed in the abdomen and chest of the animal. The importance of thorough physical examination and patient assessment before anesthetic induction or positioning for radiography, thoracocentesis, and provision of adequate ventilation and oxygenation are discussed.
- Hayes G. Gastrointestinal foreign bodies in dogs and cats: a retrospective study of 208 cases. Journal of Small Animal Practice. 2009; 50: 576-583.
- Beischer D, Robins G. Vertebral osteomyelitis, ataxia and paraparesis caused by a satay stick. Australian Veterinary Practitioner. 1993; 23: 7-10.
- Hunt GB, Worth A, Marchevsky A. Migration of wooden skewer foreign bodies from the gastrointestinal tract in eight dogs. Journal of Small Animal Practice. 2004; 45: 362-367.
- Katsinelos P, Chatzimavroudis G, Zavos C, Triantafillidis I, Kountouras J. A pyogenous gastric abscess that developed following ingestion of a piece of a wooden skewer: successful treatment with endoscopic incision. Journal of Gastrointestinal and Liver Diseases. 2007; 16: 113-115.
- Rathaus V, Erez I, Zissin R. Ileal perforation due to an ingested fragment of a skewer: preoperative ultrasonographic diagnosis. Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine. 2006; 25: 389-391.
- Santos SA, Alberto SC, Cruz E, Pires E, Figueira T, Coimbra É, Estevez J, Oliveira M, Novais L, Deus JR. Hepatic abscess induced by foreign body: case report and literature review. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2007; 13 (9): 1466.
- Shaw P. Freeman J. The antemortem diagnosis of pyogenic liver abscess due to perforation of the gut by a foreign body. Postgraduate Medical Journal. 1983; 59: 455-456.
- Jain A, Nag HH, Goel N, Gupta N, Agarwal AK. Laparoscopic removal of a needle from the pancreas. Journal of Minimal Access Surgery. 2013; 9(2): 80.
- Dugger K, Lebby T, Brus M, Sahgal S, Leikin JB. Hepatic abscess resulting from gastric perforation of a foreign object. American Journal of Emergency Medicine. 1990; 8(4): 323-325.
- Grubb T. Anesthesia for patients with respiratory disease and/or airway compromise. Topics in Companion Animal Medicine. 2010; 25: 120-132.
- Papazoglou L, Patsikas M, Rallis T. Intestinal foreign bodies in dogs and cats. Compendium of Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian-North American Edition- 2003; 25: 830-845.
- Harvey R, Ettinger S. Cardiovascular Disease. In: Tranquilli W, Thurmon J and Grimm K (eds) Lumb & Jones’ Veterinary Anesthesia and Analgesia. 4th ed. Iowa: Blackwell Publishing, 2007; 891-897.
- Matteucci ML, Spaulding K, Dassler C, Lee D. Ultrasound diagnosis: intra‐abdominal wood foreign body. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound. 1999; 40(5): 513-516.
- Tranquilli W, Thurmon J and Grimm K (eds) Lumb & Jones’ Veterinary Anesthesia and Analgesia. 4th ed. Iowa: Blackwell Publishing, 2007; 495-531.