Document Type : Original Article
Department of Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Urmia Branch, Islamic Azad University, Urmia, Iran.
Testicular torsion and detorsion are significant clinical issues for infertile men. Torsion of the spermatic cord is an emergency condition resulting from the rotation of the testis and epididymis around the axis of the spermatic cord. A rat testis model was used to assess the effects of polyethylene glycol on ischemia-reperfusion injury. Twenty-four healthy male Wistar rats were used. The rats were included and randomized into four investigational groups (n = 6): Group Sham: Merely laparotomy was implemented. Group Ischemia: Merely 3-hour interval ischemia was done. Group IS/REP: A 3-hour interval ischemia, 3-hour reperfusion for left testis, one-week reperfusion for right testis were done and 20 µl normal saline was administered intraperitoneally (IP) 30 min before termination of ischemia. Group IS/REP/PEG: The same as group IS/REP as well as 20 µl PEG solution 3% (IP) 30 min before termination of ischemia. Evaluations were based on biochemical analyses and sperm parameters morphometry. Polyethylene glycol enhanced antioxidant activity and quality of sperm parameters (p < 0.05). In conclusion, polyethylene glycol could be helpful in minimizing ischemia-reperfusion injury in testicular tissue exposed to ischemia
- McLachlan RI, de Krester DM. Male infertility: the case for continued research. Medical Journal of Australia. 2001; 174(3): 116-117.
- Srinath H. Acute scrotal pain. Australian Family Physician. 2013; 42(11): 790-792.
- Arap MA, Vicentini FC, Cocuzza M, Hallak J, Athayde K, Lucon AM, Arap S, Srougi M. Late hormonal levels, semen parameters, and presence of antisperm antibodies in patients treated for testicular torsion. Journal of Andrology. 2007; 28(4): 528-532.
- Parhizkar P, Mohammadi R, Shahrooz R, Mohammadi V. Effects of pyrroloquinoline quinone (PQQ) on ischemia-reperfusion injury in rat ovaries: histological and biochemical assessments . Bulletin of Emergency and Trauma. 2019; 7(1): 35-40.
- Javanmardi S, Khordadmehr M. Benidipine reduces ischemia/reperfusion injury following testicular torsion/detorsion in rats. Iran Journal of Veterinay Surgry. 2017; 12(2): 21-30.
- Girotti AW. Lipid hydroperoxide generation, turnover, and effector action in biological systems. Journal of Lipid Research. 1998; 39(8): 1529-1542.
- Huang HY, Helzlsouer KJ, Appel LJ. The effects of vitamin C and vitamin E on oxidative DNA damage: results from a randomized controlled trial. Cancer epidemiology, biomarkers & prevention. 2000; 9(7): 647-652.
- Ames BN, Shigenaga MK, Hagen TM. Oxidants, antioxidants, and the degenerative diseases of aging. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA. 1993; 90(17): 7915-7922.
- Slaughter BV, Khurshid SS, Fisher OZ, Khademhosseini A, Peppas NA. Hydrogels in regenerative medicine. Advanced Materials. 2009; 21: 3307-3329.
- Chen J, Spear SK, Huddleston JG, Rogers RD. Polyethylene glycol and solutions of polyethylene glycol as green reaction media. Green Chemistry. 2005; 7: 64–82.
- Straley KS, Foo CW, Heilshorn SC. Biomaterial design strategies for the treatment of spinal cord injuries. Journal of Neurotrauma. 2010; 27: 1-19.
- Aubert-Pouëssel A, Venier-Julienne MC, Clavreul A, Sergent M, Jollivet C, Montero-Menei CN, Garcion E, Bibby DC, Menei P, Benoit JP. In vitro study of GDNF release from biodegradable PLGA microspheres. Journal of Control Release. 2004; 95: 463-475.
- Aktaş BK, Bulut S, Bulut S, Baykam MM, Ozden C, Senes M, Yücel D, Memiş A. The effects of N-acetylcysteine on testicular damage in experimental testicular ischemia/reperfusion injury. Pediatric Surgery International. 2010; 26(3): 293-298
- Cummings JM, Boullier JA, Sekhon D, Bose K. Adult testicular torsion. Journal of Urology. 2002; 167(5): 2109-2110.
- Sessions AE, Rabinowitz R, Hulbert WC, Goldstein MM, Mevorach RA. Testicular torsion: direction, degree, duration and disinformation. Journal of Urology. 2003; 169(2): 663-665.
- Dokmeci D, Kanter M, Inan M, Aydogdu N, Basaran UN, Yalcin O, Turan FN. Protective effects of ibuprofen on testicular torsion/ detorsion-induced ischemia/reperfusion injury in rats. Archives of Toxicology. 2007; 81(9): 655-663.
- Lee JW, Kim JI, Lee YA, Lee DH, Song CS, Cho YJ, Han JS. Inhaled hydrogen gas therapy for prevention of testicular ischemia/reperfusion injury in rats. Journal of Pediatric Surgery. 2012; 47(4): 736-742
- Barlas M and Hatiboglu C. The effect of nitric oxide in testicular ischemia-reperfusion injury. International Urology and Nephrology. 2002; 34(1): 81-86.
- Uguralp S, Usta U and Mizrak B. Resveratrol may reduce apoptosis of rat testicular germ cells after experimental testicular torsion. European Journal of Pediatrics. 2005; 15(5): 333-336
- Wang WW, Qiao SY and Li DF: Amino acids and gut function. Amino Acids. 2009; 37(1): 105-110
- Vitaglione P, Ottanelli B, Milani S, Morisco F, Caporaso N, Fogliano V. Dietary trans-resveratrol bioavailability and effect on CCl4-induced liver lipid peroxidation. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2009; 24(4): 618-622.
- Ünsal A, Eroglu M, Avci A, Cimentepe E, Guven C, Derya Balbay M, Durak I. Protective role of natural antioxidant supplementation on testicular tissue after testicular torsion and detorsion. Scandinavian journal of Urology and Nephrology. 2006; 40(1): 17-22.
- Cuzzocrea S, Riley DP, Caputi AP, & Salvemini D. Antioxidant therapy: a new pharmacological approach in shock, inflammation, and ischemia/reperfusion injury. Pharmacological Reviews. 2001; 53: 135-159.
- Turner TT, Bang HJ, Lysiak JL. The molecular pathology of experimental testicular torsion suggests adjunct therapy to surgical repair. The Journal of Urology, 2004: 172(6 Part 2): 2574-2578.
- Jung JE, Kim GS, Chen H, Maier CM, Narasimhan P, Song YS, Yoshioka H. Reperfusion and neurovascular dysfunction in stroke: from basic mechanisms to potential strategies for neuroprotection. Molecular Neurobiology. 2010; 41(2-3): 172-179.
- Abdel-Gaber SA, Mohammed RK, Refaie MM. Mechanism mediating the protective effect of diacerein in ischemia-reperfusion-induced testicular injury in rats. Life Sciences. 2018; 209: 57-62.
- Cutrìn JC, Boveris A, Zingaro B, Corvetti G, Poli G. In situ determination by surface chemiluminescence of temporal relationships between evolving warm ischemia-reperfusion injury in rat liver and phagocyte activation and recruitment. Hepatology, 2000: 31(3); 622-632.
- Kim YH, Kim GH, Shin JH, Kim KS, Lim JS. Effect of Korean red ginseng on testicular tissue injury after torsion and detorsion. Korean Journal of Urology. 2010; 51(11): 794-799.