Document Type : Original Article
Veterinary Teaching Hospital, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria.
Department of Veterinary Surgery and Radiology, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria.
Department of Veterinary Pathology, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria.
Department of Veterinary Medicine, Surgery and Radiology, University of Jos, Nigeria.
Department of Veterinary Physiology, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria.
Department of Veterinary Anatomy, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria.
Radiographic and ultrasonographic evaluations of the urinary bladder architecture following autologous composite colo-peritoneal pedicle graft, as alternative tissue for urinary bladder reconstruction, in the surgical repair of experimental urinary bladder defects were carried out in two dogs. Predetermined 2 ´ 4 cm dimension of urinary bladder defect was created on the dorsum of the urinary bladder, and was patched with harvested 3 ´ 5 cm composite colo-peritoneal pedicle flap. All operations were aseptically and humanely conducted. The gross anatomical evaluation of the urinary bladder architecture was performed by ultrasonography and contrast radiography of the repaired urinary bladder. Post-surgical cystosonographic assessments on day 8 showed thickened urinary bladder wall at the point of the graft, which decreased markedly on day 21. Cystographic evaluation revealed gradual transition of the urinary bladder architecture at the point of graft with clear delineation and minimal blurring at week 2 post-operation, which gradually disappeared at weeks 10 and 14. The cystosonographic and cystographic evaluations demonstrated evidence of advanced healing and well-preserved urinary bladder architecture with no evidence of leaks. The imaging modalities are adequately diagnostic to assess urinary bladder repairs following its management with composite colo-peritoneal graft in dogs.
- Gómez RG, Ceballos L, Coburn M, Corriere JN, Dixon CM. Consensus on geitourinary trauma; Consensus statement on bladder injuries. British Journal of Urology, 2004;94:27-32.
- Essman SC. Contrast cystography. Clinical Technics in Small Animal Practice. 2005;20(1):46-51.
- Hume C, Seiler G, Porat-Mosenco Y, Caceres A, Shofer F, Sorenmo K. Cystosonographic measurements of canine bladder tumours. Veterinary and Comparative Oncology, 2010;8:122-126.
- Muhammad ST, Awasum CA, Hassan AZ, Usman B, Jahun BM. Traumatic urinary bladder injuries in small animals. Journal of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Health, 2015;7(1):27-32.
- Geisse AL, Lowry JE, Schaeffer DJ, Smith CW. Sonographic evaluation of urinary bladder wall thickness in normal dogs. Veterinary Radiology & Ultrasound, 1997;38(2):132–137.
- Sidhu R, Bhatt S, Dogra VS. Ultrasonography of the urinary bladder. Journal of Clinical Ultrasound, 2010;5:457-474.
- Sutherland-Smith J. Bladder and urethra. In: Penninck DG, d’Anjou MA, Ames TA, eds. Atlas of Small Animal Ultrasonography. Blackwell Publishing, 2008;365–384.
- Confer AW, Panciera RJ. The urinary system. In: McGavin MD, Carlton WW, Zachary JF, eds. Thomson’s Special Veterinary Pathology. 3rd ed. St. Louis, MO: Mosby, 2001;235–277.
- L´eveill´e R. Ultrasonography of urinary bladder disorders. Veterinary Clinic of North America Small Animal Practice, 1998;28(4):799–821.
- Takiguchi M, Inaba M. Diagnostic ultrasound of polypoid cystitis in dogs. Journal of Veterinary Medical Sciences, 2005;67(1):57-61.
- Pechman RD. The Urethra. In: Thrall DE, St. Louis MO, eds. Textbook of Veterinary Diagnostic Radiology. WB Saunders, Philadelphia, US, 2007;725-728.
- Stephanie CE. Contrast cystography. Clinical Techniques in Small Animal Practice, 2005;20(1):46-51.
- Park RD, Wrigley RH. The urinary bladder. In: Thrall DE, St. Louis MO, eds. Textbook of Veterinary Diagnostic Radiology. WB Saunders, Philadelphia, US, 2007;708–724.
- Feeney DA, Anderson KL. Radiographic Imaging in Urinary Tract Disease. In: Bartges J, Polzin DJ eds. Textbook of Nephrology and Urology of Small Animals. Blackwell Publishing Ltd, USA, 2011;97-127.
- Sura P. Lower Urinary Tract Trauma. In: Bartges J, Polzin DJ eds. Textbook of Nephrology and Urology of Small Animals. Blackwell Publishing Ltd, USA, 2011;828-834.
- Muhammad ST, Hassan AZ, Awasum CA, Mohammed B. Radiographic evaluation of “graft take” following ileocystoplasty of extensive urinary bladder defects in dogs. Journal of Veterinary Advances, 2014;4(7):623-630
- Muhammad ST, Awasum CA, Mohammed B, Hassan AZ. Cystographic evaluation post-colocystoplasty in two Nigerian indigenous dogs. Nigerian Veterinary Journal, 2016;37(2):82-87.
- Muhammad ST. Evaluation of the Use of Colonic and Ileal Grafts in the Repair of Extensive Urinary Bladder Defects in Dogs. MSc Dissertation, Ahmadu Bello University Zaria, Nigeria. 2013;48113.
- Muhammad ST, Awasum CA, Mohammed B, Hassan AZ. Evaluation of Autologous Composite Colo-peritoneal Grafts in the repair of Experimental Urinary Bladder Defects in Dogs. Archives of International Surgery, 2020;9(4):104-111.
- Probst M, Piechota HJ, Dahiya R, Tanagho EA. Homologous bladder augmentation in dog with the bladder acellular matrix graft. British Journal of Urology International, 2000;85(3):362-371.