Document Type : Clinical Report
Plastic Repair Reconstructive Surgery Department, Ningbo First Hospital, Ningbo, China.
Animal Management Department, Ningbo Youngor Zoo, Ningbo, China.
Department of Ultrasound, Ningbo First Hospital, Ningbo, China.
Case Description- Chronic foot disease, which is considered a tremendous clinical challenge, poses a serious threat to the overall health of elephants. We treated an Asian elephant with hoof disease by a creative surgery.
Clinical Findings- An Asian elephant presented with hoof disease, which caused the partial detachment of its right hind foot-pad.
Treatment and Outcome- We fixed the elephant’s foot by using an artificial steel plate and sternal wire, At the same time we adjusted diet. Elephant hoof disease is cured and its function restored.
Clinical Relevance- The utilization of fixation plates can be extremely useful for the treatment of hoof disease in the elephant.
- Clubb R, Rowcliffe M, Lee P, Mar KU, Moss C, Mason GJ. Compromised survivorship in zoo elephants. Science, 2008; 322(5908): 1649.
- Galateanu G, Hildebrandt TB, Maillot A, Etienne P, Potier R, Mulot B, Saragusty J, Hermes R. One small step for rhinos, one giant leap for wildlife management--imaging diagnosis of bone pathology in distal limb. PLoS One, 2013; 8(7): e68493.
- Haspeslagh M, Stevens JM, De Groot E, Dewulf J, Kalmar ID, Moons CP. A survey of foot problems, stereotypic behaviour and floor type in Asian elephants (Elephas maximus) in European zoos. Animal Welfare, 2013; 22(4): 437-443.
- Lahiri-Choudhury DK. Historical Lessons for the Treatment of Foot Diseases in Captive Asian Elephants. Lowa State University, 2008; 79-83.
- Mehren KG. The Elephant's Foot: Prevention and Care of Foot Conditions in Captive Asian and African Elephants. Australian Veterinary Journal, 2010; 79(12): 824-824.
- Sadler WC. The Role of Nutrition and its Possible Impact on Elephant Foot Care. Iowa State University, 2008; 13-15.