Document Type: Original Article
Department of Pathobiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tabriz, Tabriz, Iran.
Department of Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tabriz, Tabriz, Iran.
Department of Basic Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tabriz, Tabriz, Iran.
Objective- The purpose of this study was to evaluate the protective impacts of Plantago. major (P. major) against the adverse effects resulted from testicular ischemia/reperfusion (I/R) on kidney and liver.
Design- Experimental study.
Animals- Twenty-four male rats.
Procedures- The testicular I/R was induced by firstly anesthetizing rats using ketamine and xylazine and then, incising the skin of testis region. After the stimulation of testicular I/R by rotating the testis in clockwise direction, fixing for 2 hours and then, re-rotating testis. Then, P. major was administered through intraperitoneal route at the dose of 50 and 100 mg/kg for 14 days. The liver and kidney samples were used for histopathological investigation.
Results- It was found that testicular I/R negatively affects the kidney and liver as it was demonstrated in histopathological samples. Degeneration of hepatocytes, necrosis, hyperemia in sinusoids and infiltration of inflammatory cells were found in liver. Similarly, the hyperemia, necrosis, and infiltration of inflammatory cells were observed in the kidney. Administration of P. major diminished significantly these harmful effects with better results at the dose of 100 mg/kg.
Conclusion and Clinical Relevance- It is suggested that treatment of rats with P. major is beneficial in terms of reducing the adverse effects of testicular I/R on the kidney and liver tissues and this procedure can be applied in the clinical trials.
- l Desoky ES, Hassan AKM, Salem SY, Fadil SA, Taha AF. Cardioprotective effect of atorvastatin alone or in combination with remote ischemic preconditioning on the biochemical changes induced by ischemic/reperfusion injury in a mutual prospective study with a clinical and experimental animal arm. International of J Cardiology, 2016; 1(222): 866-873.
- Hausenloy DJ, Yellon DM. Myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury: a neglected therapeutic target. The Journal of Clinical Investigation, 2013; 123(1): 92-100.
- Chu SF, Zhang Z, Zhou X, He W, Chen C, Luo P, Liu D, Ai Q, Gong HF, Wang ZZ, Sun H, Feng ZP, Chen N. Ginsenoside Rg1 protects against ischemic/reperfusion-induced neuronal injury through miR-144/Nrf2/ARE pathway. Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, 2019; 40(1): 13-25.
- Yu C, He Q, Zheng J, Li LY, Hou YH, Song FZ. Sulforaphane improves outcomes and slows cerebral ischemic/reperfusion injury via inhibition of NLRP3 inflammasome activation in rats. International Immunopharmacology, 2017; 45: 74-78.
- Fraser PA.The role of free radical generation in increasing cerebrovascular permeability. Free Radical Biology & Medicine, 2011;51(5): 967-977.
- Shimizu Y, Nicholson CK, Lambert JP, Barr LA, Kuek N, Herszenhaut D, Tan L, Murohara T, Hansen JM, Husain A, Naqvi N, Calvert JW. Sodium sulfide attenuates ischemic-induced heart failure by enhancing proteasomal function in an Nrf2-dependent manner. Circulation Heart Failure, 2016; 9(4): e002368.
- Radermacher KA, Wingler K, Langhauser F, Altenhöfer S, Kleikers P, Hermans JJ, Hrabě de Angelis M, Kleinschnitz C, Schmidt HH. Neuroprotection after stroke by targeting NOX4 as a source of oxidative stress. Antioxidants & Redox Signaling, 2013; 18(12): 1418-1427.
- Zheng Y, Wang Y, Zhang X, Tan Y, Peng S, Chen L, He Y. C19, a C-terminal peptide of CKLF1, decreases inflammation and proliferation of dermal capillaries in psoriasis. Scientific Reports, 2017; 7(1): 13890.
- Carbone F, Teixeira PC, Braunersreuther V, Mach F, Vuilleumier N, Montecucco Carbone F. Pathophysiology and treatments of oxidative injury in ischemic stroke: focus on the phagocytic NADPH oxidase 2. Antioxidants & Redox Signaling, 2015; 23(5): 460-489.
- 10. Majid A. Neuroprotection in stroke: past, present, and future. ISRN Neurology, 2014; 2014: 515716.
- 11. Kalogeris T, Baines CP, Krenz M, Korthuis RJ. Cell biology of ischemia/reperfusion injury. International Review of Cell and Molecular Biology, 2012; 298: 229-317.
- 12. LevitskyJ, Gurell D, Frishman WH. Sodium ion/hydrogen ion exchange inhibition: a new pharmacologic approach to myocardial ischemia and reperfusion injury. The Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 1998; 38(10): 887-897.
- 13. Frank A, Bonney M, Bonney S, Weitzel L, Koeppen M, Eckle T. Myocardial ischemia reperfusion injury: from basic science to clinical bedside. Seminars in Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia, 2012; 16(3): 123-132.
- 14. Mortezaee K, Salehi E, Mirtavoos-Mahyari H, Motevaseli E, Najafi M, Farhood B, Rosengren RJ, Sahebkar A. Mechanisms of apoptosis modulation by curcumin: Implications for cancer therapy. Journal of Cellular Physiology, 2019; 234(8): 12537-12550.
- 15. Farhood B, Mortezaee K, Goradel NH, Khanlarkhani N, Salehi E, Nashtaei MS, Najafi M, Sahebkar A. Curcumin as an anti-inflammatory agent: Implications to radiotherapy and chemotherapy. Journal of Cellular Physiology, 2019; 234 (5): 5728-5740.
- 16. Najafian Y, Sadat Hamedi S, Kaboli Farshchi M, Feyzabad Z. Plantago major in Traditional Persian medicine and modern phytotherapy: a narrative review. Electronicic Physician, 2018; 10 (2): 6390-6399.
- 17. Ashkani-Esfahani S, Khoshneviszadeh M, Noorafshan A, Miri A, Rafiee S, Hemyari K, Kardeh S, Koohi Hosseinabadi O, Fani D, Faridi E. The healing effect of Plantago major and Aloe vera mixture in excisional full thickness skin wounds: Stereological study. World Journal of Plastic Surgery, 2019; 8(1): 51-57.
- 18. Gomez-Flores R, Calderon CL, Scheibel LW, Tamez-Guerra P, Rodriguez-Padilla C, Tamez-Guerra R, Weber RJ. Immunoenhancing properties of Plantago major leaf extract. Phytotherapy Research, 2000;14(8): 617-622.
- 19. Najafian Y, Khorasani ZM, Najafi MN, Hamedi SS, Mahjour M, Feyzabadi Z. Efficacy of Aloe vera/ plantago major Gel in diabetic foot ulcer: A Randomized double-blind clinical trial. Current Drug Discovery Technologies, 2019; 16 (2): 223-231.
- 20. Turel I, Özbek H, Erten R, Cihat Öner A, Cengiz N, Yilmaz O. Hepatoprotective and anti-inflammatory activities of Plantago major L. Indian Journal of Pharmacology, 2009; 41(3): 120-124.
- 21. Ozaslan M, Didem Karagöz I, Kalender ME, Kilic IH, Sari I, Karagöz A. In vivo antitumoral effect of Plantago major L. extract on Balb/C mouse with Ehrlich ascites tumor. American Journal of Chines Medicine, 2007; 35(5): 841-851.
- 22. Reina E, Al-Shibani N, Allam E, Gregson KS, Kowolik M, Windsor LJ. The effects of Plantago major on the activation of the neutrophil respiratory burst. Journal of Traditional and Complementary Medicine, 2013; 3(4): 268-272.
- 23. Ashkani-Esfahani S, Khoshneviszadeh M, Noorafshan A , Miri R, Rafiee S, Hemyari K, Kardeh S, Koohi Hosseinabadi O, Fani D, Faridi E. The healing effect of Plantago Major and Aloe vera mixture in excisional full thickness skin wounds: Stereological study. World Journal of Plastic Surgery, 2019; 8(1): 51-57.
- 24. Ibrahim KE, Al-Mutary MG, Bakhiet AO, Khan HA. Histopathology of the Liver, kidney, and spleen of mice exposed to gold nanoparticles. Molecules, 2018; 23(8): 1848.
- 25. Chouchani ET, Pell VR, Gaude E, Aksentijević D, Sundier SY, Robb EL, Logan A, Nadtochiy SM, Ord ENJ, Smith AC, Eyassu F, Shirley R, Hu CH, Dare AJ, James AM, Rogatti S, Hartley RC, Eaton S, Costa ASH, Brookes PS, Davidson SM, Duchen MR, Saeb-Parsy K, Shattock MJ, Robinson AJ, Work LM, Frezza C, Krieg T, Murphy MP. Ischaemic accumulation of succinate controls reperfusion injury through mitochondrial ROS. Nature, 2014; 515(7527): 431-435.
- 26. Schlegel A, Kron P, Dutkowski P. Hypothermic oxygenated liver perfusion: basic mechanisms and clinical application. Current Transplantation Reports, 2015; 2(1): 52-62.
- 27. Juliana C, Fernandes-Alnemri T, Kang S, Farias A, Qin F, Alnemri ES. Non-transcriptional priming and deubiquitination regulate NLRP3 inflammasome activation. The Journal of Biological Chemistry, 2012; 287(43): 36617-36622.
- 28. Xiao L, Xu X, Zhang F, Wang M, Xu M, Tang D, Wang J, Qin Y, Liu Y, Tang C, He L, Greka A, Zhou Z, Liu F, Dong Z, Sun L. The mitochondria-targeted antioxidant MitoQ ameliorated tubular injury mediated by mitophagy in diabetic kidney disease via Nrf2/PINK1. Redox Biology, 2017; 11: 297-311.
- 29. Tang C , Han H, Yan M, Zhu S, Liu J, Liu Z, He L, Tan J, Liu Y, Liu H, Sun L, Duan S, Peng Y, Liu F, Yin XM, Zhang Z, Dong Z. PINK1-PRKN/PARK2 pathway of mitophagy is activated to protect against renal ischemia-reperfusion injury. Autophagy, 2018; 14(5): 880-897.
- 30. Yazd ZNE, Samadi Noshahr Z, Hosseinian S, Naser Shafei M, Ebrahimzadeh Bideskan A, Mohebbati R, Entezari Heravi N, Shahraki S, Mahzari S, Khajavi Rad A. Renoprotective effect of Plantago major against proteinuria and apoptosis induced by adriamycin in rat. Journal of Pharmacopuncture, 2019; 22(1): 35-40.
- 31. Lin X, Li S, Zhou C, Li RZ, Wang H, Luo W, Huang YS, Chen LK, Cai JL, Wang TX, Zhang QH, Cao H, Wu XP. Cisplatin induces chemoresistance through the PTGS2-mediated anti-apoptosis in gastric cancer. The International Journal of Biochemistry & Cell Biology, 2019; 116: 105610.
- 32. Kröning R, Lichtenstein A, Nagami G. Sulfur-containing amino acids decrease cisplatin cytotoxicity and uptake in renal tubule epithelial cell lines. Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, 2000; 45(1): 43-49.
- 33. Parhizgar S, Hosseinian S, Soukhtanloo M, Bideskan AE, Hadjzadeh MA, Shahraki S, Noshahr ZS, Heravi NE, Haghshenas M, Rad AK. Plantago major protects against cisplatin-induced renal dysfunction and tissue damage in rats. Saudi Journal of Kidney Diseases and Transplantation, 2018; 29(5): 1057-1064.
- 34. Jaeschke H. Reactive oxygen and mechanisms of inflammatory liver injury: present concepts. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 2011; 26: 173-179.
- 35. Saquib Q, Attia SM, Siddiqui MA, Aboul-Soud MA, Al-Khedhairy AA, Giesy JP, Musarrat J. Phorate-induced oxidative stress, DNA damage and transcriptional activation of p53 and caspase genes in male Wistar rats. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, 2012; 259(1): 54-65.
- 36. Cichoż-Lach H, Michalak A. Oxidative stress as a crucial factor in liver diseases. World Journal of Gastroenterology, 2014; 20(25): 8082-8091.
- 37. Mello JC, Gonzalez MV, Moraes VW, Prieto T, Nascimento OR, Rodrigues T. Protective effect of Plantago major extract against t-BOOH-Induced mitochondrial oxidative damage and cytotoxicity. Molecules, 2015; 20(10): 17747-17759.
- Hussan F, Mansor AS, Hassan SN, Kamaruddin TN, Tasnim TN, Budin SB, Othman F. Anti-inflammatory property of Plantago major leaf extract reduces the inflammatory reaction in experimental acetaminophen-induced liver injury. Evidence Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2015; 347861.