Document Type : Clinical Report
Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Urmia University, Urmia, Iran.
Department of Surgery and Diagnostic Imaging, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Urmia University, Urmia, Iran.
Department of Pathobiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Urmia University, Urmia, Iran.
Case Description- A four-month-old female Holstein calf was presented to the Veterinary Teaching Hospital of Urmia University with a history of abnormal hairy growth on the right eye since birth.
Clinical Findings- On general examination, the animal was alert. Body temperature, heart rate, respiratory rate, menace test, and pupillary light reflex were normal. On ophthalmic examination, a hairy mass was observed on the conjunctivae, third eyelid, sclera, and cornea of the right eye. Histopathological examination revealed the mass with three distinct areas of skin. It was diagnosed as an ocular dermoid cyst and surgical treatment was warranted.
Treatment and Outcome- The mass was surgically excised to prevent damage to the anterior chamber of the eye. Ocular healing was satisfactory in a 4 week follow up.
Clinical Relevance- This report described an ocular dermoid cyst in a four-month Holstein calf. There was just lacrimation, possibly due to irritation caused by the hairs. The ocular dermoid cyst could be excised surgically, and the prognosis is good.
- Nishie A, Yoshimitsu K, Honda H, Irie H, Aibe H, Shinozaki K, Mizumoto K, Matsuo Y, Masuda K. Presacral dermoid cyst with scanty fat component: usefulness of chemical shift and diffusion-weighted MR imaging. Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics, 2003; 27: 293–296.
- Moore CP, Shaner JB, Halenda RM, Rosenfeld CS, Suedmeyer WK. Congenital ocular anomalies and ventricular septal defect in a dromedary camel (Camelus dromedarius). Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine, 1999; 30(3): 423-430.
- Yeruham I, Perl S, Liberboim M. Ocular dermoid in dairy cattle - 12 years survey. Revue de Médecine Vétérinaire, 2002; 153(2): 91-92.
- Barkyoumb SD, Leipold HW. Nature and cause of bilateral ocular dermoids in Hereford cattle. Veterinary Pathology, 1984; 21(3): 316-324.
- Lawson DD. Corneal dermoids in animals. Veterinary Record, 1975; 97: 449-450.
- Constable PD, Hinchcliff KW, Done SH, Grunberg W. Veterinary Medicine: A textbook of the diseases of cattle, sheep, goats, pigs and horses. 11th ed. Saunders Elsevier. Philadelphia, 2017.
- Golubovic SZ, Latkovic Z, Horvatic-Obradovic M. Surgical treatment of large corneal dermoid. Documenta Ophthalmologica, 1995; 91(1): 25-32.
- Kiliç N. Cardiopulmonary, biochemical, and haematological changes after detomidine-midazolam-ketamine anaesthesia in calves. Bulletin of the Veterinary Institute in Pulawy, 2008; 52(3): 423-426.
- Hillyer LI, Jackson AP, Quinn GC, Day MJ. Epidermal (infundibular) and dermoid cysts in the dorsal midline of a three-year-old thoroughbred-cross gelding. Veterinary Dermatology, 2003; 14(4): 205–209.
- Sarrafzadeh-Rezaei F, Farshid AA, Saifzadeh S. Congenital ocular dermoid cyst in a river buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) calf. Journal of Veterinary Medicine Series A, 2006; 54: 51-54.
- Kılıç N, Toplu N, Epikmen ET. Surgical Treatment of Corneal Large Dermoid in a Simmental Calf. Acta Scientiae Veterinariae, 2012; 40(2): 1-5.
- Mansour AM, Barber JC, Reinecke RD. Wang FM. Ocular choristomas. Survey of Ophthalmology, 1989; 33(5): 339-358.
- Tunio A, Bughio S, Abro SH, Kalhoro DH, Memon AA. Eye dermoid in a thari breed cattle calf and its surgical management: A case study. Pakistan Journal of Agriculture Engineering and Veterinary Sciences, 2016; 32(2): 295-299.
- Bekele T, Bhokre AP, Mekonnen B, Tesfaye W, Alemu B, Tintagu T, Gebrekidan B. Ocular dermoid in crossbred calf- A case report. Ethiopian Veterinary Journal, 2014; 18(1): 105-108.