Document Type: Clinical Report
Department of Surgery and Obstetrics, Faculty of Veterinary Science, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh, Bangladesh.
Department of Microbiology and Hygiene, Faculty of Veterinary Science, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh, Bangladesh.
Faculty of Veterinary Science, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh, Bangladesh.
Case Description- Umbilical hernia is occasionally seen with different levels of complexity in animals This emergency condition requires quick diagnosis and is corrected with various surgical approaches. The aim of this paper is to report the surgical correction of an eviscerated umbilical hernia with extensive adhesion in a bovine calf. Twenty days old indigenous male bovine calf was presented for surgical treatment of an umbilical hernia with extensive adhesion and evisceration.
Clinical Findings- Physical examination through palpation revealed evisceration of umbilical content with extensive adhesion.
Treatment and Outcome- The surgical procedure was carried out aseptically following standard procedure. The bovine calf recovered without any complication two weeks after surgery.
Clinical Relevance- It can be concluded that surgical management along with administration of antibiotic, antihistaminic and anti-inflammatory drugs are effective for successful management of eviscerated umbilical hernia with extensive adhesion in the bovine calf
- Fitzgibbons RJ, Jr Forse RA. Clinical practice. Groin hernias in adults. The New England Journal of Medicine, 2015; 372(8): 756–763.
- Prasad CK, Maruthi ST, Sagar RS, Belakeri P, Mahantesh MT. Surgical management of intestinal evisceration in neonatal calves. Intas Polivet, 2017; 18(2): 346-347.
- Sharda R, Tiwari SK, Naik N. Intestinal evisceration in a cow calf and its surgical management. Intas Polivet, 2012; 13: 44-45.
- Nath SK, Sen AB, Rahman MM, Das S, Ersam R, Alam MR. Umbilical hernia in calves in Sylhet region. International Journal of Advanced Multidisciplinary Research, 2016; 3(7): 19–25.
- Arora E, Gandhi S, Bhandarwar A, Quraishi AH, Wagh A, Tandur A, Wakle D. Umbilical hernia with evisceration. Two cases and a review of the literature. The Journal of Emergency Medicine, 2018; 55(2): e27-31.
- Rahman MM, Sultana S, Ali MZ. Prevalence of umbilical hernia of calves and its risk factors at Tangail Sadar of Bangladesh. Asian-Australasian Journal of Bioscience and Biotechnology, 2017; 2(2): 154-158.
- Jaman MM, Mishra P, Rahman M, Alam MM. Clinical and laboratory investigation on the recurrence of the umbilical hernia after herniorrhaphy in bovine calves. Journal of the Bangladesh Agricultural University, 2018; 16(3): 464-470.
- Good DW, Royds JE, Smith MJ, Neary PC, Eguare E. Umbilical hernia rupture with evisceration of omentum from massive ascites: a case report. Journal of Medical Case Reports, 2011; 5(1): 170.
- Farman RH, Al-Husseiny SH, Al-Ameer AN. Surgical treatment of hernia in cattle: A review. Al-Qadisiyah Journal of Veterinary Medicine Sciences, 2018; 17(2): 61-68.
- Inguinal Hernias: Causes, Types, Repair & Surgery Options Website. HealthEngine. Available At: https://healthengine.com.au/info/hernia-repair. Accessed Dec 13, 2018.
- Van Wessem KJP, Simons MP, Plaisier PW, Lange JF. The etiology of indirect inguinal hernias: congenital and/or acquired? Hernia, 2003; 7(2): 76-79.